Raingutter Regatta Boat and Sail Rules

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
pmswantek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Raingutter Regatta Boat and Sail Rules

Post by pmswantek »

My son just competed in a regional regatta. There was a slight delay in the race because one boat had the sail attached to the hull of the boat. Since I am chairman of our Pack touraments I have read and written our rules for the Pack. No where have I seen a rule about the sail only attached to the mast.

When I questioned those who were inspecting the boat, they commented that this rule was in the "official BSA rules and guidelines".

Can someone clarify this for me and give me a link to these "Official rules"?

Thank you in advance for any help.

MS
TexasScoutMom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Raingutter Regatta Boat and Sail Rules

Post by TexasScoutMom »

I don't know where the "Official Rules" are posted-- sorry I can not help. But, I thought that each pack made up their own rules about the Derby and the Regatta? Is that not the case? Our pack makes up it's own set of rules for these events. For our Regatta there is no rule against attaching the sail to the side of the boats and that is what we have done to my son't boat. I read that tip somewhere-- and the sail is definitely stable, now. My son cut the sail down, attached the tips to the boat (so, now it is curved in, making a "pocket" in which he can blow). The boat is also a Catamaran (sp?) style.

I hope that you get the problem worked out! Whatever you do, it is important to come up with the rules BEFORE the boys build the boats and it is important that the parents have a COPY of the rules before building. I would be really po'd if we got to the race and had not been aware of some rule that was now being enforced and prevented my son from participating!
Pack212Scouter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack212Scouter »

To the best of my knowledge, there are no "official BSA rules" The closest that you get in derbies is what is printed on the instruction paper which many derbies just ignore anyway.

Our Pack is in it's 3rd year of Raingutter. Year one went great. Year two, was when competition crept in with hulls getting cut down and sails shaped into cups.

This coming year, we have rewritten the rules to eliminate most of this while still allowing some creativity. I hope it works!
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Can you post a copy of those re-written rules? I'd be curious to see them.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
Pack212Scouter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack212Scouter »

2. Detailed Rules and Race Day Process

The rules for the Raingutter Regatta are fairly simple. The boys build boats from standard BSA kits. Please follow the assembly directions on the package and allow the boys to decorate in any manner they choose.

The actual race will be divided into rank categories: Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos. Each rank group will first race each other. The race will involve sets of two raingutters on saw horses. We have several sets of raingutters ready to speed the races. The boys blow air on the boats, through straws, to move them through the water. Hands may only be used to upright a turned over boat and may not be used to advance the boat. Boys may not use their faces, lips, hats, nose or other body parts to move the boat -- just their lung power!

Elimination heats will be run to narrow down the field for each rank. At least double elimination will be used. The final heats from each age group will determine the 1st, 2nd,3rd, and 4th place finishers for that rank. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers in each age group will be in the pack finals.

Construction rules

The boat must be newly built for the current Cub Scouting year. As much as practical, the boat should be substantially built by the Scout with parental supervision. The boat should use every part from the BSA Raingutter Regatta Kit. Additional parts, decals, paint, and glue are permitted.
Overall width shall not exceed 2 1/4 inches.
Overall length from bow to stern (including rudder) shall not exceed 7.00 inches, nor shorter than 6.50 inches.
The mast must rise 6.50 inches above the deck.
Below the waterline, no more than the forward 1 inch and the aft 1 inch may be shaped in any way. Surfaces and edges may be sanded smooth.
The boat must have a single hull. Although you might find designs for double hulled boats on the internet, our Pack rules mandate that all boats must be single hull. The boat may not be of hydrofoil, hydroplane, outrigger, or catamaran design.
Only the sail supplied with the kit may be used. The sail may be trimmed, but must not be shaped or folded. The sail must be upright for it's entire length and must be attached to the mast supplied with the kit. The mast may be placed in any position on the top of the boat and the sail may be arched or curved in one dimension only. The sail may be tied, tacked, or glued in place as long as it is upright and unfolded.
The keel and rudder from the kit must be used. Only the keel and rudder supplied with the kit may be placed below the waterline. The keel and rudder may be placed anywhere on the boat, but cannot cause the boat to exceed 7.00 inches in overall length.
The Rank, Den Number, and first and last name of the scout must be on the sail.
Modifications above the waterline for creative or decorative purposes are allowed as long as they do not alter sail performance. Details such as figures, decals and paint are permissible as long as these details are securely glued or fastened to the boat. The scouts are encouraged to decorate their boat, as this adds to the experience.

Race Rules:

Two boys will race against each other at a time.
Each boat must start with the back of the boat touching the end of the rain gutter; the boy must hold it there with one hand.
When the starter says go, the boys will propel the boats by blowing on the sail, through a straw provided by the Pack.
The boy may use his hand only to upright his boat or to remove an impediment (i.e. if the boat is stuck on the gutter). THE BOY MAY NOT ADVANCE THE BOAT WITH HIS HAND AT ANY TIME. If a boy does so, he will be given a warning and the race rerun if that boy wins.
If a boat gets broken during a race, the results stand.
The race may be rerun if the judges find a reason that merits it.