Display Stand for Boats

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
krjpy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Display Stand for Boats

Post by krjpy »

Hello,

Has anyone made a display stand for the Regatta Boats ... for multiple boats? Our Webelos have made a 5 shelf display stand and are making a multi Space derby stand on Wednesday. Haven't been able to come up with something that will hold more than 1 boat. :wall: Has anyone else come up with something or has any ideas? :scratching:

Thanks!
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Display Stand for Boats

Post by PhantomVirus »

Funny you ask - my son SO wanted to display his boat post regatta day and of course we had not planned to do so so it becane a woodworking emergency.

We ended up creating a stand using some 3/4 inch MDF I had lying around and cutting it into two 24 inch long x 2 inch wide strips. Nice thing about the MDF is that it's sturdy, can take paint if necessary, is cheap and is heacy so the cub won't knock it around too much.

We then mounted the strips to each other using wood screws but placed a nut on the wood screws between the boards - a sandwich if you will that gave us 1/8 inch spacing between the sides.

We spaced the screws/nuts so that we could line up several boats along the top of the MDF strip.

This is an early prototype that he plays with all the time and it was his 'race day' carrying stand. It is important to note that the spacing of the screws was done to keep the rudder/keel in place and keep the boat from sliding off the stand. Depending on your keel placement / extension depth you can move the screws up/down or not bother.....he 'loaned' the larger version to a friend - I'll probably never see it again but it was really easy to put build

Our screws are 7/8 of an inch from the top since our keel extends an inch from the bottom of the boat.

I used what I had and it works - the nut/spacer thing is the real trick.

Ron
mebetree
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Display Stand for Boats

Post by mebetree »

For our last boat race I brought metal wire shelving mounted on a couple of 2x4's. A 3 or 4 foot piece held all of our boats easily.