Vintage car

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
frontosacam311
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Vintage car

Post by frontosacam311 »

Picked this up at a garage sale a few years back. Can't wait to create this vintage beauty! Does anybody know roughly what era this could be from? Also, I want to build it to look like an old car but make it fast. Can these old cars be made to compete against modern cars? I imagine I will have to nickel plate the nails but otherwise I see no reason why it couldn't be fast.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Vintage car

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I'd guess 70's. I remember seeing some cars from the 60's with red "pinewood derby" labels.

You can buy new "1956" style kits from BetaCrafts. http://www.betacrafts.com/catalog/defau ... Path=21_24 You can buy single kits if you call them.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

Hey,

That's Ace's car from Down and Derby!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:I'd guess 70's. I remember seeing some cars from the 60's with red "pinewood derby" labels.

You can buy new "1956" style kits from BetaCrafts. http://www.betacrafts.com/catalog/defau ... Path=21_24 You can buy single kits if you call them.
The one thing I noted in the picture that would argue for a date earlier than the 70s is the instructions. They mention all the ranks that could participate, including the Lion rank which was discontinued in 1967. Not sure how long it would have taken the instructions in the kit to catch up with this change, though.

If it were me, I would buy a Beta Crafts kit and use it rather than use the vintage kit. We just built a couple of these for an Old School Cub Scout Open Class and separate League race, and had a pretty good time with them (plus we still have our actual Vintage kits). Main downside is that the new kits come with new number stickers, no old fashioned decals (we made our own).

You can get a new Beta Crafts kit anytime, it's not so easy to replace the vintage one. There's one listed on eBay now, but it's already at $22.50 without shipping.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Go Bubba Go wrote:The one thing I noted in the picture that would argue for a date earlier than the 70s is the instructions. They mention all the ranks that could participate, including the Lion rank which was discontinued in 1967.

If it were me, I would buy a Beta Crafts kit and use it rather than use the vintage kit.
WOW, Bubba got good eyes!!

I've got (6) of the BetaCrafts kits, one is sitting on my desk (in the box). I've wanted to build an Old School car but we're lucky to get the boys cars done and a "high tech" car for me.

Has anyone built a new car with the Old School wheels??? I'd like to see one of Stan's rail cars with a set of those on it! they would great on a Jeep!
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by knavekid »

This looks very much like the kits I used in 1966 and 1967. Of course, I filled in the big notch in the top in order to have a more streamlined car. I didn't think to reverse the direction of the car for optimum weight placement. Below is a repost of an old scanned photo taken when the cars were new.
Bryan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bryan »

'I'd guess 70's. I remember seeing some cars from the 60's with red "pinewood derby" labels.

Thanks Pinewood Daddy I have been searching for wheels from that era. I still have my car from Scouts but have lost one of the wheels. Thanks again.
redglare
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by redglare »

Hi frontosacam311,

That's a great vintage car you found at a garage sale. My dad and built one of those in 1971. That car is long gone, but seeing that kit brought back a lot of memories. Would you mind sharing a scan of the plans form the kit?

Thanks, Paul
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I scanned it for you, I hope good enough quality for you.

Sporty
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Does anybody know roughly what era this could be from?
This kit was introduced in 1956, and was discontinued in 1977. For more information on BSA kit history, take a look at:

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... mes-v7i13/