2009 Mystery Machine

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
ghostrdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

2009 Mystery Machine

Post by ghostrdr »

This is my first post here, so be kind...

My daughter wanted to build the Mystery Machine. With some help and inspiration from Smartyman, I set out on this daunting task. (much thanks!)

To see Smartyman's Mystery Machine, you can click here. http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=41 ... ry+machine

First, I took the original block of wood and shaved off the cut-out where the driver sits. I cut the front and backs of the pine wood block and a balsa wood block and glued them together I then took a strip of balsa wood and cut it to the width of the car to add the spoilers, and bumpers. After some wood glue and much sanding, this is what it looked like.

I had to hollow out the bottom to get the weight down.

Because the top half was balsa wood, I put some special sealer the hobby shop sold me - Aerogloss or something like that. More sanding, more sealer, more sanding. Actually, the sealer left a little rubbery residue, which later caused a bit of a problem with the paint cracking and chipping, but oh well. On to primer:

We painted it blue and added most of the decals. I got some of the decals from Smartyman, and I had to make a couple of the other ones. Be careful with the clear decals. I thought the clear decals would be easier because I would not have to be as precise in the cutting, but the clear decals do not have the same richness of colors and anything white, or off-white will become transparent. The white decals worked much better for me. I guess it depends on your application. The clear decals worked great for the "Scooby Rocks" on the top and the "Will Work 4 Scooby Snacks" on the back. Also, the decals took a lot of getting used to. They were not easy to work with at all. I probably went through six-seven rounds of decals before I figured out the whole, printing, spraying with acrylic, cutting, etc. But, then again, I can be a bit slow.

Here's the Mystery Machine from a few different angles.

We put on a "front spare tire" and went off to the races.

Our car was not the fastest, but by far, it was the one of the coolest cars out there. (I personally think it was the best, but who knows). We got lots of comments from the other girls and dads. If I could do it again, I would have added more wood on the sides to make fenders, thus making the car a little wider, but overall, I thought it came out pretty nice and my daughter enjoyed working on it with me, which is the important part, right? Our car was clearly the tallest, though.

Let me know what you all think.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 2009 Mystery Machine

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

That is awesome!

Way to go!!! :D
TexasScoutMom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TexasScoutMom »

Cool! That is a super neat car! Great paint job, too!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That turned out very well!

This is off topic, but from the photo, that is a rather strange way to mount that start switch for the timer. Micro Wizard has a nice aluminum bracket to attach to that track that gets the switch more out of the way of the release lever.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
smartyman
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by smartyman »

Looks great! I especially like that you were able to find a good decal for the side window, and put that spare on the front.
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

Very nice! That makes two who have made Mystery Machines this year and they are both great! I love it! You make me get the itch to make another car and our race was just 2 weeks ago.
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
grifflew
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by grifflew »

Cool! :clap:
When my older son had his first Derby he wanted the Mystery Machine, but it didn't come out as nice as yours.

That was the first time I experienced the true drying time of model car enamel. We built it 8 years ago, I think some of the paint is still soft... :sigh:

Cheers,
Griff
grifflew
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by grifflew »

Found a pic, this was our first Derby car ever, in 2002:

My older son didn't win, but we had a lot of fun building it and making the decals. :D

Cheers,
Griff