Something vintage to share

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Something vintage to share

Post by whodathunkit »

Just a little something vintage to share. This is the 1955 cub scout quarterly program titled "Wheels Wings and Things". It shows the Pinewood Derby track and facilities layout for the first time.

This is the 1955 betacrafts kit ad that came in the 8 car bulk set kit. This is just a little something for you guys to share with your kids. Hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Something vintage to share

Post by FatSebastian »

Neat whoda!

A couple of observations:
1) Since the wheels protrude out in front of the car, not sure of the proper way to stop these designs.
2) The track plan doesn't seem to show a stopping mechanism either!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:scratching: Feather pillow for stopping mechanism (maybe?)

Get this. under the words The Derby.. it reads The ramp or raceway suggested will take care of only two car at a time. Winners can be run on an elimination basis. Adjustments should be made according to the time available.Each winner might receive a red tag on which he writes his name and places it on a result board under his den number. the den with the most winners might receive some special commendation, like an oil can trophy.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

This is the kit ad shown on the back of the 1955 Cub Scout quarterly program.
Here are two more photos showing the 1955 Cub Scout Supply Catalog & the PWD kit
Just thought I'd share some more vintage pinewood derby with you all at derby talk .
Please fell free to share this with your kids. I truely hope enjoy what i'm shareing!
The 8 car bulk sets. Enjoy :dance: Guys & Kids. :whew: :bigups:
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Thank you for posting this.

Just imagine: no video games, no computers, no cell phones, few televisions...

K
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

It looks like you beat me out buying some of the bulk kits on eBay a couple of years ago!! ;) I did get a few old kits and a really cool car probably made in the 60's, there's thread on here somewhere. I also picked up the original October 1954 issue of Boys Life where they introduce the PWD. BetaCrafts still sells the 1955 kit. The website says you have to buy 12 but if you call them you can get what ever quantity you want. I finally built one this year, a much sleeker version of the old classic car. I need to take some pics and start a thread. It was slightly faster than my son's car. ;)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:I did get a few old kits and a really cool car probably made in the 60's, there's thread on here somewhere.
I think this is the thread. Neat car!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks' Kenny Your right there is not much to see or do..Out my way! But i enjoy helping the kid's in Cub Scouting. Pinewood Daddy, was that you? Man what a race you put up for these kit's! What can i say.. i just wanted something to share with the Boys. I felt the history of this event was lacking! so i set out to change it. And to give there Dads a chance to say .. you see that kit son. that's the kit i used as a Cub Scout! So what did i do! Well i started collecting any thing and every thing pinewood derby! To show to kids in Cub Scouting! And Thanks to Max-v's news letters and his shareing of the kit history. It keeped me going pushing forward for the kids. And not so much for myself.. But for the kid's in Cub Scouting! You know guy's my cars are slow also. I'm much better at Turtle Racing... Then most! And Whodathunkit.
Hope you all don't mind me shareing a car are pack put together.. In Memory Of Don Murphy, And give me the chance to share with you all his autograph.. look at the date boy's
Next i'll share the time this car ran against.. a fan powered car .. and one useing Bearing Outlaw Wheels
Check out the kids finger prints on the screen. And now.. FatSebastion, I told you i dont hold back..
And now guys.. this very car and history was shared with a very special Cub Scout Pack in Landisburg Pa, Pack 105. From there i sent this car to race at WIRL on April 17, 2010. Check out the stats if youed like. I think you all know what happed on April 17, 1953. the first kits were passed out in brown paper sacks.. and you were given your racing number.
See i'm just a guy.. like the many of you on Derby Talk.. Thanks guys.. And Thank you Randy L.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote:Hope you all don't mind me shareing a car are pack put together.. In Memory Of Don Murphy,
The epitome of the iconic Pinewood Derby car - beautifully executed!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

If you all (wood) like to see the single kits... just say the word! I'll be happy to share them in a new post!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Well if i'm going to share i might as well ad this.. For the kids in Cub Scouting !

Oct 1954 Boys'Life
June 1955 Boys'Life show's the very first pinewood derby kit from Betacrafts.
Enjoy kids in Cub Scouting this one is for you :bigups: :bigups: :bigups:
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote:June 1955 Boys'Life show's the very first pinewood derby kit from Betacrafts.
Interesting... I wonder how long BSA promoted June as "the time for your Pinewood Derby"? (last photo) (Maybe until the July edition came out?! :lol: )
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Well let's just see.. FatSebastian!
Themes 1956-57 Onward For God And My Country. Summer of 1957 June Cub Scout Archaeologists. And in the 1964 Back Yard U.S.A The Summer Theme Works Harbors,Stations,And Airports. If this is what you were asking?
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:doh: JULY .. JUNE .. YEAH YOU GOT ME ON THAT ONE FatSebastion! (Call it an I.O.U. You 1!)
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Ok guy's I'm getting the sense of negativity in your response's! So Please let me clear this up if you will! I I'm in no way Trash Talking down on the Boy Scout's of America. The Cub Scout's, Or About Don Murphy! This very car was built in Memory of hem. And it was raced under his rules of 1953! On 8 penny finish nail axels..with no lube what so ever.. As a Testament to show just how far his gift of love has came in the many years it has been in the running by kid's in Scouting!
( The kid's finger prints on the computer screen if you will .. is there way for cheering his car on!)
And his gift of love he gave to his son. Then to Scouting! And for all of what The Boy Scout's of America stands for!

But I guess I myself.. in my own words have in someway faild to clue you all in. In this matter!
And I'm just trying! To Do My Best! Like the many of you in Scouting.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.