Thanks!!

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
bioran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks!!

Post by bioran »

My son came in first in his pack in 2009 and second in 2010 but ended up in the middle of the pack at the districts. That led me to research online to see what we needed to do to get to the next level - and I ended up here. I read many threads and decided that we needed to build a rail-rider. So after lurking for a while I decided to setup an account and I wanted to extend my thanks to those that have posted such valuable information and their experiences on this board.

We had our race this past weekend and the results were amazing! He set the track record on three races. Unfortunately on 1 race it derailed out of the gate. I think it was a setup issue at the gate but am not sure. There was no specific policy on a derail so we ended up taking 9.99 on that run :o. I'd be interestedto hear what your pack policy's are on derailing so we can have something in place for next year. A couple other cars derailed closer to the finish line and also took 9.99 runs.

Looking forward to bigger and better things next year! Here's a photo of the car:

And another of his younger brothers sibling car:

Matt
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Thanks!!

Post by FatSebastian »

:welcome: Matt!
bioran wrote:There was no specific policy on a derail so we ended up taking 9.99 on that run :o. I'd be interestedto hear what your pack policy's are on derailing so we can have something in place for next year. A couple other cars derailed closer to the finish line and also took 9.99 runs.
Policies tend to vary depending on whether the derailing interfered with another car. If there is no interference, then usually the car gets a time-out value or is awarded last place for that run, just as what happened to you.

Now if there is interference with another car, policies usually call for the race to be rerun with or without the interfering car. If it is run again with the interfering car and the interference occurs again, the race is definitely rerun without the interfering car, (with the interfering car given a timeout or last place). Continued interference often results in DQ, although I have also seen derbies where an interfering car may be staged backwards before being DQ'ed (as backward staging can often overcome the problem).
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Nice Cars!!!!
W Racing!!!!
tjeffrey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tjeffrey »

I was going to post my own THANKS message but decided to add onto this thread.

I truely want to thank everyone on this board for posting your expertise, sharing your ideas, and promoting such a great activity. The memories created with my kids will last forever! There are plenty of sports competitions, academic competition, and a few science competitions - but there is nothing that combines craftsmanship, science, and sports the way derby does!

We just completed our derby on Sunday. It was my third event and I'm now in charge of the affair. We are not a boy scout troop. We are a YMCA Indian Guides/Princesses federation, so our format is a bit different. We race by grade and had over 400 racers in total from k - 5th.

We've been very competitive the past couple years with one son winning his grade the last two years and the other finishing second the last two years. At the end of the day the 6 grade winners race for the grand championship. The past two years my son who won his grade finished 4th and 3rd respectively.

This year, I decided to not hold back anything. Our event has very few rules - build your car from the kit - meet the weight and size requirements - that's it. So it's really open to whatever creativity you have. This year the boys cut thier own razor wheels and we pulled the 4th wheel and replaced it with a peg. I also have a kindergarten girl who participated in her first event. No razor wheels - she didn't like the look on her Flip-Flop car! But with the help from you folks they all won their grades and finished 1-2-3 in the grand championship!

There were a few people grumbling about not having a 4th wheel and the razor wheels, but I don't think I should feel guilty. We would always follow the rules, which we did, it's just that we're a bit deeper into the sport than most.

Thanks again!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

tjeffrey wrote:There were a few people grumbling about not having a 4th wheel and the razor wheels, but I don't think I should feel guilty.
:nod: We also heard grumbling regarding not having a 4th wheel.

Some people presume razor wheels can only be purchased or require expensive equipment to make, hence they may (mistakenly) feel a race is being "bought" when they are beaten by them. FWIW, the competition in our local non-Scout race seemed okay with our (legal-to-have) homemade razor wheels once they realized they were kid-made.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

Congrats on your good run. As for the derail, that's a tough one. In that case it could be that no one will be happy. If the heat isn't rerun, you'll be sad. If it's rerun and you do win, the guy who one first will be unhappy.
mizefish
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mizefish »

Bioran,
Wow, so a car that set 3 track records during the day, ended up with no trophy because someone decided a 9.99 was a better solution than a re-run? I would think that with no clear policy about derails, a re-run on that heat would be more logical, especially considering the derail happened at the starting gate where its cause was almost certainly bad staging.

Next most logical, seeing as how this was a timed race, would be to give you last place by say 1/2 a second. Adding almost 10 seconds to your cumulative score almost guarantees that the scoreboard will show your car as the slowest in that group, which is absurd considering everyone in the room saw you set 3 track records. Fat Sebastian is right about you should be awarded last place for that heat, but last place by that much is killer.

Last year our eventual Pack Champion derailed and didn't finish in the first heat of our 6-heat finals. We don't use timers, just points for finishing places. So the kid booked a 6 (6pts for 6th place) for the first heat, won all 5 of the other races, and ended up winning the event.
As it should be.
And as your race should have been. By any chance does your family have a history of doing very well at Pinewood Derby events, and could this be 9.99 seconds of bias against excellence coming from envious not-so-successful racer parents who can't stand the fact that someone else actually put in a better effort at something and defeated them? We see this in every other youth sport, and we see it in PWD racing, too.

Congrats on the cool car, and the 3 track records! What a tremendous accomplishment!
DKO
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DKO »

We had a fast car derail a few years ago due to an adult staging it on the pin. Threw us out of winning anything. I asked for a rerun. The answer was no. There were at least four other dads asking them as well. They all felt our pain. Hey, that's racing! My son learned a lot from it, so did I. Before every race we always talk about how accidents can happen, cars break... and the importance of being a good Christian, a good scout and a good sport! Win or lose we have fun. We came back stronger the next year and every year after.
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

We always blame the first derail on the track then re-run the cars and if it derail again it takes a loss.Then we have the owner of the car take it to the pit area to see if the problem can be fixed.We make every effort to make sure everyone has a car that can make it down the track without problems.