Team B-Man - Pack winner. 2 for 2 - THANK YOU

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Team B-Man - Pack winner. 2 for 2 - THANK YOU

Post by PhantomVirus »

We ran undefeated again this year. Thanks to DT for the help, advice and HOW TO guides.

Stan this one was the one we were working on to track straight as opposed to RRing. Your process worked well and it runs straight as you can point. Stock axle sots - drilling not allowed, no canting and 4 on the floor required!

We tied one other kid for 1st in our last heat otherwise he won every race he was in.

One VERY happy 8 YO WOLF!!

Thanks everyone esp. FS, SPORTY, Stan and the build forum team and to Randy (@ MaximumVelocity) for the theme appropriate weights. Off to Districts in March!

Ben & Ron
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Team B-Man - Pack winner. 2 for 2 - THANK YOU

Post by pgosselin »

Great looking car, PhantomVirus. Congrats on your son's win, too.

Paul
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Awesome,

As i say sometimes, thin to win.

Looks good and congrats.
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

Sporty - spot on - this year we went with less than 1/3 inch after sanding and the body was < .75 oz.

I was so nervous that he was going to drop it (like last year) and if that happened we were done.....no carbon fiber rods as I am just not that good with a dremel/router.

Got at least 2 parents with wise-[censored] comments that we 'should give others a chance' to go to districts.....jerks.... we send our top 10 (of 60 kids) to Districts....geez.
Most parents started their cars on Tues/Wed this week with a Friday registration and then they wonder why they came in bottom 1/3....go figure.

Thanks again for all the help.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Congrats on the win. The work usually pays off.

Towards those that do not work on their cars... We've been advertising workshop hours and websites (incl Derby Talk) for folks.
If they don't want to work with their kids, you can't make them. But you can make them wish they had.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

PhantomVirus wrote:If they don't want to work with their kids, you can't make them. But you can make them wish they had.
Priceless!

I don't get the two extremes.. where dads do it all or don't do anything. Both penalize the boy. In the case of my kids (1 boy, 4 girls) each year my expectations of them and what they can do and should do grows, but I'm still there helping. My youngest - twins, one spent hours sanding her AWANA racer and it showed! The other spent maybe 5 minutes and unfortunately it also showed. :) When she compared her car to her sisters, she didnt like that the other looked so much better. So I trotted out some 6 year old language for "reaping the benefits of what you sow."
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

Totally agree with you on increased responsibilities as they get older.

Last year ben polished the axles, filed the burrs, spray painted the car and I did pretty much everything else.

This year I cut the block on the table saw, he marked the cut lines, I used the scroll saw and he did some detail work with a coping saw and a 4 way file. He sanded using a belt sander & a 'Mouse' palm sander, did the axles again and spent a lot of time with me locating & tweaking the CoM. The best thing is that he actually UNDERSTANDS the physics ;-) and he painted it again this year. I had him epoxy the large weights in and in turn he learned how to use a drill press and Forstner bits - quite a bit of 'growth' between Tiger and Wolf.