Angry Birds

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Duane
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Angry Birds

Post by Duane »

Angry Birds won our pack today in a field of 70 cars, and was also a crowd favorite for being so distinctive and easy to follow in a very crowded hall:

My son is a Wolf; this is our third year of competing. Last year, we played with using plastic sheets to decorate the car in novel ways. Our Ghost pirate ship was awesome and the fastest and tallest (and only) boat in the pack. It did well until hobbled on race day by a registration sticker. Our Toothless, the Midnight Fury Dragon was just for show, not for racing, as its wings fluttered badly in any wind and there was no room in the tail to hide any weights.

This year, kiddo wanted to go for speed rather than looks. But when we cast about for a decorative theme, the obvious answer for him this year was Angry Birds. I sketched how we could put little bird and pig faces on the top of a fast slab car. Faces that few would see. Or we could instead put an entire scene on a large upright sheet of plastic, much like we did for the ghost pirate ship sails. We decided to risk some speed to go for the big look again.

The car's wood base is a simple rectangular slab, 5/16" thick. (I meant it to be thicker, but sanding out our rough coping saw marks took away than I expected.) Primary weighting is by 6 half-ounce tungsten slabs, arranged around the rear to minimize air drag cross section and also get the c.o.m. as far back as I could:

Final weight on the front axle was 21 grams, and 121 grams on the rear axle, putting the com at 0.6" in front of the rear axle. There was absolutely no fishtailing with this com position. It is possible that the sail helps stabilize the car's tracking. (As required in our pack, this was with a standard wheelbase, all four wheels rolling, & no camber.)

The car body's small cross section area reduced total air drag to less than our pack's wedge cars:

On average, Angry Birds was 0.01 second faster per run than the next-fastest car.

I encourage others to use thin plastic sheets for car decorations. It opens up a huge space of possible intriguing designs.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Angry Birds

Post by john4840 »

Neat design. Congrats to your son.

John
PeterT
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PeterT »

Great idea!

how did you anchor the sheet into the base? Did you cut a groove... then anchor with... epoxy?
Duane
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Duane »

PeterT wrote:how did you anchor the sheet into the base? Did you cut a groove... then anchor with... epoxy?
Yes, groove, with a contact cement. In the ghost pirate ship, it was easy to cut an appropriate-width groove into the balsa wood superstructure with a coping saw, before gluing the balsa onto the pinewood slab. In Angry Birds, I needed a shallower grove in the thin pinewood slab itself. And needed to avoid taking that groove all the way to the front prow. That was hard to do with my hand tools. So I bought a dremel and hoped that its fiber disk attachment could be used to router out a narrow groove. This created an ugly irregular pit that was twice as wide as I wanted. But that pit near the front gave me enough room to make a proper groove with a normal woodsaw with narrow teeth, without knocking into the prow. The dremel also came with a router bit that would have worked directly, but would make a wider groove than I wanted.

If it is okay to take a short groove all the way through to the bottom of the slab, there is a simpler clean way. Drill a starting hole at an endpoint of each slot, all the way to the bottom. Disassemble a coping saw, and reassemble it with the blade running through that hole. Saw the slot, then disassemble the saw again to extract the blade. It helps to have a round starting hole at both ends, to keep stresses from opening cracks.

On our practice race day, the plastic was not glued in. Jamming in a second layer of plastic as a shim kept it snugly in place except for one crash. We tried running it with and without the plastic, but didn't have the track timers running then to find out whether the plastic had much drag. Kiddo opted for running with the decoration. On race day, we used both the shim and glue.

(I'm now leery of epoxy; I'll never again use it when re-drilling axle holes.)

An alternative to grooves is to use plastic with an L-shaped bottom edge, glue or staple two together to make a T-joint, then glue or staple it down onto a flat wooden slab.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Very cute! Congrats on a good, and innovative build.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.