Scout and Outlaw racers

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
geauxturbo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Scout and Outlaw racers

Post by geauxturbo »

Little over a week to go. We got em tuned and ready. Inferno (scout car) takes Dad's outlaw car ( Herbie V) off the line on the tuning board. But, I think my 4 pounder will smoke him in the transition. :). Honestly, I'd be happy if he whooped me. Should be a lot of fun regardless. We can't wait.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Scout and Outlaw racers

Post by whodathunkit »

Beep, Beep !
Go... Herbie... Go!! :mrgreen:
geauxturbo wrote: But, I think my 4 pounder will smoke him in the transition. :). Honestly, I'd be happy if he whooped me. Should be a lot of fun regardless. We can't wait.
Just have fun regardless no matter the outcome of the race. ;)
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Doesthe VW microbus really weight four pounds? Love your faded flames.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
geauxturbo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Scout and Outlaw racers

Post by geauxturbo »

Noskills wrote:Doesthe VW microbus really weight four pounds? Love your faded flames.
Seth
4 lbs 3.3 oz :)

And thanks. My 8 year old painted the red base and I faded them in with a darker metalic red. He was having a tough time with the spray can until we got the pistol grip adapter. He did much better after that.
geauxturbo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Scout and Outlaw racers

Post by geauxturbo »

whodathunkit wrote:Beep, Beep !
Go... Herbie... Go!! :mrgreen:
geauxturbo wrote: But, I think my 4 pounder will smoke him in the transition. :). Honestly, I'd be happy if he whooped me. Should be a lot of fun regardless. We can't wait.
Just have fun regardless no matter the outcome of the race. ;)
Whoda.
Haha. Love it. You even got the bumpers on. Nice!
geauxturbo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by geauxturbo »

Well, my son's car placed 1st in Den, 8th in Pack. Also won 1st place in design. Everyone loved the deep shine. I think I'm going to do a paint workshop with the den next year. The overall winner was very fast. Averaging a 2.658. My son's average was 2.718.

Herbie won the outlaw race and probably raced 50 races against the kids who wanted to run against him on registration day. We had a BLAST. We did a test run on race day with the outlaws to start the computer software and the kids were cheering on Herbie. :thumbup:

My son's car had a bad wobble after the transition, and dropped off significantly after the first run (from a 2.694 to a 2.740, then a 2.72ish time and 2.73ish time). We pulled the axles off after we got home and found the problem. He had dropped it awhile back and knocked off the paint on the rear corner of the car. While fixing it, we wet sanded that corner and likely got water on that axle. It was pitted badly and had rust on it. So, he raced with his emergency brake on. :wall:

The competition was very tight. It was a ton of fun. I want to say one race was within .006 seconds total 1st to 4th. Thank goodness for electric timers is all I have to say.

One kid in my son's den read the email 4 hours before registration and his dad was at work so his mom helped build the car very quickly. Showed up at like 2.8 oz and had no graphite. I helped them get the weight right and we showed them how to lube it up. He placed second in our Den :clap: That was one happy kid!

So, on to districts. We have a good bit of work to do but I expect we'll have just as much fun. :bigups: