Extended front end car

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Extended front end car

Post by Noskills »

Here is a car I just build. I received the extended front end block from Speedster and followed his technique for canting the rear axels. Thanks Speedster! Also gave a nod to the Sporty spoon shaped front end. Here are some photos I will try to post from picasa. If they come out I will post a few in progress photos

Hope these photos come out. This car was a ton of fun to make and my last personal fun car before starting with the kids on their cars.
Noskills (Seth)
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Extended front end car

Post by whodathunkit »

Seth, those are the best looking invisible extended front end cars I haven't ever seen.

I do hope you'll share the cars soon. ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

The pictures are not showing up.

Birddog.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Mark,
The car is so fast it can't be photographed....

Just kidding. Let me try again.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Looks like I figured it out. Here are some in progress shots as I know how much we all love the process:
Speedster made me this block with a nice spot for tungston cylinders behind the rear axel. Here you can see where I shaved off the DFW side by 1/16th of an inch.
Here is where I reviewed the Sporty spoon shaping technique. Of course I was too timid to go as thin as him. :oops:
Spoon-like shape here. 8)

Here is my new painting gig. Dont tell my wife I took her utensil hanger! :lipssealed:
All painted up. I initially tried to paint the black widow symbol on but with the pacific NW humidity the painter tape pulled off chuncks of black lacquer. Had to sand down down to primer :wall:
Here is a close up of the screws placed over the rear axel to set the canting angle as per the Speedster technique he discussed in an earlier post.
Bottom view of the screws.
Speedster suggested cutting the tips off the screws as seen in this close up.
Rear axels nice and canted! The DFW axel was bent too much in this photo and I bent a new one after trying to tune. My RR pro jig lets the nail slip at times and bends the snot out of it.
Went with red duct tape to make the widow symbol. I went with the black widow for two reasons-1) To thank Speedster for the help as he has a car called the widow and 2) We found a black widow in our scout tent after camping out with the family (again dont tell me wife) :lipssealed:
The overly zealously bent DFW axel can be seen here as well as how nicely the rear axels came out.

Overall I learned a ton building this car and I have already begun to work on my son's and daughter's cars this year with them. What a difference a year on DT makes!

Seth (Noskills)
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Seth,
Thank you for the photos of the car I like it..
And I like your new painting gig..

But you might want to run out and get your wife a new utenil stand for Christmas.
Befor she gives you the rolling pen & a fry pan.

Best of luck with the car & have a Merry Christmas.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I tested this car today. He beat me. RATS !!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS, Seth.
Cheers
Speedster
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Speedster,
All due to good building materials, excellent mentoring and a little bit of beginners luck. Thanks for testing it.
Seth
Napoleon Dynamite
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I'm surprised by the amount of bend and tow in you can actually see on that DFW. I thought a general recommendation was a 1.5 degree bend? You can barely even see a 1.5 degree bend.

Does that car turn hard into the rail with that DFW? How much does it turn over 4 feet?

thanks,

Birddog
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Birddog,

Ingore that aspect of the photo. I way overbend the axel with my RR tool but I installed the wheel to get photos. I corrected the axel and reinstalled the wheel but did not reshoot photos. The car has a 4 in drift over 4 feet but I have no clue what the axel is bent at now.

Seth
Napoleon Dynamite
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Seth-

Ahhh, that makes more sense. You had me worried there for a minute (thought I was back to square 1 in my learning of DFW workings).

Thanks for sharing your car with us!

Birddog
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

cool, looks good !

looks like 2.5 to 2.7 degrees of cant on the rear. Love the spoon !

Sporty
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Sporty,

Thanks for the estimate on the rear axels. I basically have the axels in the slots and then used the screws so that the tip of the axel was moved away from the bottom of the slot by about 1/16 of an inch (so that the tip was about level with the top of the slot). When looking at it from table level the outside corners were just barely lifted off the surface.

When thinking of this canting technique I bet you could put a blob of epoxy in the slot just where the axel tip would be (where you see the screw coming through the bottom of the car in the photo above), let it harded and then sand it so it was flush with the bottom of the car. The axel would then be canted from the bottom of the slot (nearest the axel head) to the top of the slot (near the axel tip) likely giving a reproducible angle of about 2-3 degrees. I am going to have to try this for an easy method to cant rear slotted axels.

Glad you liked the spoon knock off!

Seth
Napoleon Dynamite
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

Nice looking car! I would suggest pulling some of that bend off of that front axle. I run with a bunch of angle on my front dominant axles but your angle might be a tad extreme. Running with a extreme angle makes it hard to adjust your car drift.
Murph
SLT
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Nice car, and thanks for the photos of the build.
If you HAVE to use original slots, those screws will certainly do the trick.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.