Our fastest car ever

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Our fastest car ever

Post by Ickabod »

We ran in Soaring Eagle District Race this past Sunday. This was the fastest car we have ever built! We came in 2nd in the Bear division and 3rd overall right behind Greg's (xanthrum) 2 kids. Greg's kids ran 2.9573 and 2.9586 while we ran 2.9793. SUB-3 SECONDS! My son and I were so happy with the results! The car we built was never run on a track, just tuned on our 4 ft. board, so we had no idea how well the car would race. I think a little re-prep of the wheels and we will be ready for the MAC derby.

A special thanks to Sporty and DT for helping us with all of our questions and great tips.

Another "Thank You" goes out to Greg for helping run a great race. Thanks for the competition also, gives us room for improvements :D
There are only two seasons: baseball season and The Void. - Jonathan Yardley
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Our fastest car ever

Post by sporty »

:bigups: :thumbup: :bigups: :thumbup: :clap: :dance:

Awesome,

Thats so great to hear, Learning more and improving is a great feeling. I am glad I have been able to help you and Thru Derby talk, for the scouts to learn and grow and improve.

Sporty
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I'm assuming those times are on a 42' Best Track?

If so, those are blazing fast. I know it is hard to compare times across different track setups (even across the same 42' Best Track from setup to setup), but even so that is amazing!

We've yet to crack the 3.000 barrier on such a track. Getting below 2.980 is tremendous!

Congratulations and good luck at Mid-America as that car should do very well there!

birddig
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

Yes, it was a 42' best track. It is the same track that will be used at the MAC derby. We were very surprise that we broke the 3 seconds barrier.

All the cars did seems fast that day. Greg said they had worked on the track polishing it and smoothing out all the joints. Seemed like it made quite an improvement.

Our time on this track was a lot faster this time than they were last year at the MAC derby where we ran a time of 3.0738. I am hoping the improvement was because of our build process more than the track :D

We are looking forward to watching everyone's car race in a couple of weeks!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

One good looking car Ick. Feels great to go into a race with no information on your car apart what you saw on the tuning board and do so well. Its all about the process and seems you have gotten it down. Congrats.
Seth (Noskills)
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

Thanks Seth. Your widow looks might fast also. I am not sure we have our build process down, but we are getting there. I made a few mistakes with this car, but luckily still ran fast.

The night before the race, I was doing a final inspection and noticed that the rear of the car was too low and did not pass the required clearance test. I had to pull the 2 rear wheels and re-drill the axle holes. I then had to realign the car and graphite the wheels. It had me a bit worried having to work on it at the last minute. I will not make that mistake again.

Ick
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Your Car ran awesome it was very exciting to see such fast times... you have a stellar car that is Very Fast... and a HUGE thank you goes out to you for having extra wheels with you so that I could help make the cars that were illegal with the wheels they had - having your wheels on hand allowed 3 families the ability to race with legal wheels one of which got 1st place - another got 2nd and i did not know how the other family ended up... but we would have had some disappointed kids and families if you would not have been clutch.

Thank you - and Great Job
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

Well, if my car was VERY fast, then yours were VERY VERY fast as I was lagging behind your stellar times.

I am glad I could help with the wheels. I usually bring my supplies as I never know when something goes wrong.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I have a few questions that perhaps Greg and Ickabod would be so kind to answer for me.

1. What are the rules on wheels for your District race?
2. What prep work was done to the wheels, if anything, Ickabod so graciously provided to those with illegal wheels?
3. If Greg changes the wheels on those cars for the MidAmerica race, will anything be able to stop them before they go through the wall of the building?

Thank you Gentlemen.
Bill (Speedster)
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

I almost bet they use the same rules as mid america, so in other words BSA wheels, 7.5mm width, tread must be flat, and all markings in and out must remain.
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

1. The rules for the district were the same as the Mid-America race.
2. There was no prep work done on the wheels that I provided for the race, they were straight out of the kits.
3. Greg will have to answer this one :-)

I am not sure if Greg helped prep the wheels when he put them on. He may have just burnished them, but there was no bore prep done.

Ick
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

I used the Derby Worx - Pro Hub tool... Very Very Very quickly to remove the outter step and mine has been modified to cut a cone -- but that was about all I did other than grind a lot of grapite into the wheel and axles.
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714