Council

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Oddzilla
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Council

Post by Oddzilla »

We had similiar issues with my sons car. Our Pack rules were much mroe restrictive than district and council. For the most part, it was anything goes as long as it wasn't more than 5 ounces. Canted, rail riders, super smooth wheels, extended wheelbases. 2 cars even had one of the front wheels in the middle of the body on one side while the other was all the way up (kind of neat, actually, the way it looked).

In pure stock (with one wheel raised) no other car could beat my sons. He took first in rank in both our Pack and Dsitrict, 8th in District and then 2nd in Rank in Council and 7th overall. Every car that his was extended wheelbase with crazy axle configs.

And not that I have a problem with that (although, a Tiger CLEARLY can't build a car will all of those wild modifcations, a show room paintjob and wheels so smooth and shiney you can see yourself in them) because if other packs allow it and district and council do, they're just following the rules.

As this is our last year in Cubs, our Pack race next year falls after crossover, so no more racing for him. But, as I'm the current Cubmaster and next years (still) PWD chair, I'm going to get the rules changed so that any future Cubs can use the same rules and be more competitive if they choose to go onto Disctrics and make it to the Council race.

And his car was smoking fast, too, but a thousands of a second can still do you in. :D
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Sad,
But the Rules and how the race is run determines so much in a derby.
Glad you and the boy enjoyed making the cars... they sure did well.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Oddzilla,

Our pack runs in the same council so I know exactly what you're talking about. Those nice shiny wheels you talk about shouldn't be legal!!! Read the rules again, they specified no work whatsoever coul be done to the treads. We questioned it at both districts and at council and go the same answer: well, uh, well, uh, it's only graphite. They knew it wasn't.

Shoot me a pm if you want to compare notes on how things were run and went. I do have an idea for you on your son's plight for next year. He should be able to race at district and council if he makes it that far.