Better, Worse, Or Just Different?

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Better, Worse, Or Just Different?

Post by Noskills »

Here was my snake skin pattern first try on a scrap block.
[/img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4dd0 ... /ry%3D400/[/img]

I like the way the light undercoat "pops" but I still want to try one with 2 tone black to look like a black snake. I think it will look like a ghost image that one will only appreciate close up :D

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Second try:

"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

For someone going by the name of NoSkills.. You have got some .. Mad Painting Skills I tell yah!
It looks better then the snake skin paint job I tryed with the screen door screen.

Were you going for the large anaconda snake skin look?
Drats.. thats one vicious looking paint job..Seth!

If I could only come up with a Cobra-Copperhead-Rattle-Moccasin look.
Well I might.. (I said the word might) be a contender with you..
for the vicious snake skin looking paint jobs. ;)

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Agree with Whoda on those painting effects skills! I really want to give that a try.

Now here comes the hard part...

"Hey Seth...(breathe deeply)...what kind of fishnet pantyhose am I supposed to buy to get the same effect?"

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Thanks guys. Will play some more with this as I can cut 7 in sections at a time. Scrollsawer I did not look closely at the type. I just grabbed a pair and ran. The holes looked pretty small but got them to about 1/4 in diameter with pulling it tight around the block. I saw this done on one of those custom bike painting shows.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

My wife says fishnets are pretty much "standard" and don't come in specific sizes. I consider her an expert. If you don't want the embarrassment of buying in a store, she says you can pick them up cheap on Amazon.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Seth.. you say went to target for the fish net :lipssealed:
Your the man.. for grabing them while on the run..
but I just got to ask you this.

Why diden't you just go down to the produce aisle to grab a bag full of grapes.
You know ones in the plastic mesh netting..or run over into the auto/tool aisles
to look for the mash netting to line tool box drawers with?

Seth.. Scrollsawer is right
Scrollsawer wrote:Agree with Whoda on those painting effects skills! I really want to give that a try.

Now here comes the hard part...

"Hey Seth...(breathe deeply)...what kind of fishnet pantyhose am I supposed to buy to get the same effect?"

Scrollsawer

:offtopic:
Seth, it's not that fishnet snake scale painting effect i want to try out..
It's that skilled.. burn out and shoe soles tracking effects that you left behind at target. ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Noskills wrote:Whoa,

I summoned all my courage and went into the ladies section of Target and bought some fish net stockings. I laid down some silver and green and covered the test block in a section of the stocking (very nice cling). Then laid down some gloss black-pretty cool effect for my first try. Need to snap a photo when I get home. Made the scary :eek: trip to Target worth it.

Noskills
I'm hoping the stockings were for the car :thinking:
Both of these paint jobs are really cool. I'm impressed at the builds here. Every aspect of the cars are top notch.
You guys have me looking at the drawer liner in my toolbox a little differently now. Furnace filter maybe, the cheap ones.
This year we epoxied a photocopy of a design onto my boy's car then clear coated it. I may try your design/painting techniques on a piece of photo paper then cut it out and epoxy onto car. Is it possible that a person could go thinner/lighter on the car body and the thicker photopaper would keep it rigid and strong?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Davet,
The pros build ladder cars can over them with printing paper (which you can print on or paint). Seems strong enought for them. Might be more wear and tear at a scout race though.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Target? Scary? Clearly you've not visited a KMart or Wal-Mart in some time, my friend. ;)
Noskills wrote:Whoa,

I summoned all my courage and went into the ladies section of Target and bought some fish net stockings. I laid down some silver and green and covered the test block in a section of the stocking (very nice cling). Then laid down some gloss black-pretty cool effect for my first try. Need to snap a photo when I get home. Made the scary :eek: trip to Target worth it.

Noskills