Our 2013 Cars

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our 2013 Cars

Post by gpraceman »

Here's our 2013 slate of cars.

All of these ran in our Outlaw division, which has a reduced set of rules.

Ryan's "Rat Rod" (4th Place Speed) - He was going for the ratty finish look.

Mom's "Angry Bird" (3rd Place Design) - She molded the bird with oven bake clay

Dad's "Purple People Eater" (1st Place Speed) - I had never really tried doing a rail rider until this car. I even decided to ditch the 4th wheel and go for the peg. While the Outlaw division has no weight limit, this car would have been legal for the kid's races which have a 5 oz limit. Surprisingly, it beat out cars that weighed far more (one was more than 10 ounces). I really wanted to use metallic purple paint on it, but just couldn't find any. Happily at PepBoys, I found some Dupli-Color metallic clear coat, so any paint can become metallic looking.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Our 2013 Cars

Post by Speedster »

Cool looking cars. Congratulations on the win with the "Purple People Eater". Can your 2013 car beat your 2012 car? That 2012 car looks fast.
Testors One Coat Lacquer has a Purple Metallic color, Number 1842 Purple-Licious. If you, or your children, ever have your heart set on that "Special Color" go to an automotive paint supply store and get a rattle can of automotive basecoat color. There are hundreds of colors available. You can use any clear to topcoat it. It doesn't have to be an automotive clear.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Speedster wrote:Can your 2013 car beat your 2012 car? That 2012 car looks fast.
We haven't run them head to head. I can't tell from last year's results, as we ran a shorter track (32ft) this year than last (40ft). I do have a race to run on Wednesday, so maybe I'll bring those two to test with.
Speedster wrote:Testors One Coat Lacquer has a Purple Metallic color, Number 1842 Purple-Licious. If you, or your children, ever have your heart set on that "Special Color" go to an automotive paint supply store and get a rattle can of automotive basecoat color. There are hundreds of colors available. You can use any clear to topcoat it. It doesn't have to be an automotive clear.
I checked a couple of places, but was pressed for time, so when I found the metallic clear coat, I grabbed it. I used some inexpensive purple paint from Home Depot. The metallic clear coat did the trick to give it the look that I wanted.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Very creative designs there gpraceman,
And I like the ratty finsh look seen on Ryan's Rat Rod.. Verry cool. :thumbup:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Very nice designs! Thanks for sharing!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, did you get a chance to run the "Purple People Eater" against Good Ole #55 ?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sorry, totally forgot.
Randy Lisano