UPDATE: build Photos- 2014 PACK 293 Champion!!

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

UPDATE: build Photos- 2014 PACK 293 Champion!!

Post by tmack »

Update:
Trying to stay warm in PA, snowed in, no good sports on...NEED TO SPREAD SOME GOOD NEWS ON DT!!!
On Saturday Tommy won his pack race in both overall average time and finals. He never lost a race.
Now he's off to districts hoping he can better his 3rd place from last year.
More proof that RRs work! (As if there was any debate at this point.) Again big thanks to DT.

Details:
I'm figuring the track (gate to finish) was 29 ft based on the MPH and times posted.
Times:
Heat Time
1 2.511s ( fastest time of the day)
2 2.523s
3 2.524s
4 2.530s (yep, starting to slow down...so we thought)
Avg Time 2.522

Finals (Top 4)
1 2.532 (uh-oh getting slower)
2 2.530 (hmmm?)
3 2.522 (getting faster?)
4 2.519 (wow! almost as fast as 1st heat of the day!)
Avg Time 2.526

We really loaded up on Hob-e-lube before the race then broke in with about 5 runs on our 7ft ping-pong table, not sure of all the consequences (+/-) of that decision to use so much lube...but wow, she really held her speed for 8 races! We did polish/burnish as prescribed on DT as well. About 5/8 COM with 3-5" drift/4ft. Only one other RR that I know of in the pack..took 3rd...Big Foot car below : ) It was him and his boy's 1st attempt at a RR...not bad at all. It was a great day!

Some pics:

OLD POST--------------------
Well..This is our last year for PWD for a while, my son is finishing up Web2.....at least till my grandson is a Tiger!
We went all out this year, making a two cars...won't know till practice on Friday night which one will be the primary.
One is similar to last year's design. Tungsten canopy...5/8 COM, other car little more edgy with a 1/2 COM.
Haven't set up drift on either car yet. Last pic is the of all the cars Tommy and I have built. Believe it or not the 1st car (far left) was a RR! 1.5" COM LOL! How far we have come since then (3 years ago)....all thanks to Derby Talk...John484
Enjoy! :D

Last edited by tmack on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: RR build Photos- 2014

Post by Scrollsawer »

Fun cars! I get a kick out of your angled raised wheel. Looks a little like the car is taking a whizz on a tree.

It's amazing how much better the cars get, year after year. And just when you get really good, it's time to move on. :awww:

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: RR build Photos- 2014

Post by tmack »

Ha ha!, yeah...we kinda got lazy with the non-DFW. Its always a sigh of relief when we get to that step. :whew:
It does look funky. And I always worry that some concerned boy scout who stages the cars will think something is wrong and try to "fix" the bent wheel.
So... I think we will do the double bend (zigzag) trick on the axle to keep it vertical. We have to use the slots.
Thanks for the comment!
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: UPDATE: build Photos- 2014 PACK 293 Champion!!

Post by tmack »

UPDATE above! :bigups:
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I will likely be using a bent axle to raise my raised from wheel as drilling an elevated wheel gives me too little room between the axle hole and the top of my 1/4 in car.

Nice pics. Congrats! Love the design and the canopy.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Good luck to your son in the district race.

John
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

Thanks John...we will do our best to keep the RJ legacy of RRs going ! :lol:
I'll look for you guys tomorrow.
jcp420xx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jcp420xx »

Good times. The one year I convinced my son that aerodynamics matter he averaged 2.52 on the same track with a couple dipping into the 2.51s and that was good enough to place in 2nd at districts. The other 3 years, including this one, he ran consistant 2.56s with pretty much everything else being the same setup except the bodies were far less slippery. Maybe that's enough for me to convince him to go back to an aerodynamic car again next year. Then again, he likes to win the creativity award so maybe not. Good luck at districts.