SuperBee 2014 prelim design & final race results added

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
slipperyfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

SuperBee 2014 prelim design & final race results added

Post by slipperyfrog »

Well here is my son's car for 2014. He is now my second son to learn to draft out a car design in vector software and cut it on the laser. I'm in the sign business so I say if you have the tools use them. (Plus it keeps all his fingers on his hand.) He found the design he liked online and we drafted up a copy for cutting. The car at this stage is ready to prep the wheels and axles. Weight comes in at 4.8oz so he can add some as he gets the axles aligned.

The other boys in the pack are out for his take down as he and his brother have a 3 year 1st place win streak going. It is kind of nice that his 13yr old scout brother who won twice is doing much of the mentoring on this car with my cub scout. He learned all the tips and now they as a team are determined to make the axles/wheels perfect "with Dad watching from the chair". :) The center of the car was laser cut out and replaced with an insert of thin balsa wood, wood filler touch ups and sanded for painting. The car is airbrushed Faskolor Yellow/Yellow fluorescent mix, black vinyl cut graphics, and then a Krylon Crystal clear coat to put it all together. Rumble Bee was substituted for the Super Bee graphic due to the tiny size & cuts in the vinyl. Tungsten weighting used.

The greatest thing from Pinewood Derby I think is the interest they have garnered in what I do for a living as a graphic design/sign guy. They both have visions of designing, cutting, and installing graphics and tint for their school mates in high school/college to earn $$$ on the side.

Race coming up next week. Thanks to this forum for all we have learned the last 4 years.

Last edited by slipperyfrog on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.solarartgraphics.com
SolarArt Graphics & Window Tint
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: SuperBee 2014

Post by sporty »

Car looks nice and very shiny. Good luck.

Sporty
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I used to do signs/vinyl graphics as part time work while I was in college. Can I just say that I'm insanely jealous of you having access to a laser cutter and a vinyl plotter? :mrgreen:

Looking good!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

slipperyfrog wrote: The car is airbrushed Faskolor Yellow/Yellow fluorescent mix, black vinyl cut graphics, and then a Krylon Crystal clear coat to put it all together. Rumble Bee was substituted for the Super Bee graphic due to the tiny size & cuts in the vinyl.
slipperyfrog,
How many coats were sprayed on.. of the krylon crystal clear coat if we may ask?
Not to put you on the spot or anything..
However I've seen some topics about different paint types..
and topics about paints that could be better here on DT.
I myself don't have any good way of testing the clear paint types to find out..
what type of clear coat rattle can paints would give the harder but smoother shell over the paint.

Though I've had some good luck with the krylon crystal clear myself and I like the shine it gives ..
I've offten thought there might be a better clear coat or paint type to use.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Good looking car and a great story!
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
slipperyfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by slipperyfrog »

whodathunkit wrote:
slipperyfrog,
How many coats were sprayed on.. of the krylon crystal clear coat if we may ask?
No problem at all. This has two coats and was the triple thick product by Krylon. We left it about a week and it still looks wet. It appears to have hardened quite nicely as well. I have switched to the Krylon clear coats as I have had less issues with them bubbling up paint jobs on other materials. The actual Krylon we used is here:

http://www.krylon.com/products/tripleth ... ear-glaze/
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm going to guess this is the ultimate for dry time speed, least coats in covering, shine and durability.

It's Noon and you have a warm place to refinish. Your race is at 6PM. You have 4 colors plus clear to put on the car.

2 part automotive primer, automotive color in a rattle can, automotive 2 part clear coat in a rattle can.

When the Kenworth Truck Co. put all those multiple colors on their trucks years ago, I was able to put on all 4 colors plus clear in a single day. This was for a repair, not an overall refinish. If memory serves me, the 1st base/clear came from Europe and the company was called Sikkens.
slipperyfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by slipperyfrog »

Well the streak came to an end tonight but all is well. My cub scout took 2nd place. He raced well all night. The car looked great and ran fabulous. He missed the win by 20/100's of a second. He won 2 of the final heats and the 1st place winner won two of the final heats. An absolute dead heat with each winning in the faster lanes of the night.

The real nail biter came as they held the final results back until the award ceremony. I did not mind as the winner tonight did an amazing job of learning how to build a car this go around. :thumbup: Last year I remember his car not making the length of the track. He and his father buckled down and did some research. Now we have them in our radar for next year. Third place was nipping at our heels all night as well with a great showing. 30/100's separated the top three cars across 4 heats cumulative.

Tonight also taught my young guy to go out with respect for others as many never make the final heats. He worked hard this year but already wants to work even more on it next year to improve. Here is a photo of the final cumulative time from the 4 heat final run off. As mentioned my son Jake was 2nd by a hair. Much fun was had. :bigups:

DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: SuperBee 2014 prelim design & final race results added

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Great looking car, and a finish to be proud of.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Very cool design and painting. Maybe next year have your son think about a "bare-bones" all out speed demon car :eek: . Might be hard some someone in the sign business though :D

Congrats on the second place win!

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
slipperyfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by slipperyfrog »

Noskills wrote:Maybe next year have your son think about a "bare-bones" all out speed demon car :eek: .
He already mentioned that same thing. His car last year was of that category and I think he is determined to go back to it. The sign shop thing just lets him look on the internet and choose a design (retail or not) that he likes and copy it. :)