Our 2014 cars

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Our 2014 cars

Post by jmalsa »

So just thought I would share our cars and the few awards we came home with. Thanks to all who share on this site. As derby chair of our pack I do not have all the time to go all out to try to have the whole family win it all ( too busy on making the race day a success for all). Which I think is probably a good thing. Usually at least 1 out of the 5 of us come home with some award. This year we came home with 3. Two design and one speed. My boys one 9, a Bear and the other 11, a Boy scout do most of their own prep and tuning. So it depends on what mood they are in if they really take the time. My daughter 6, a Daisy now, always has a design idea and then preps her axles with dad, then dad usually tries to tune her car. Finally she came home with a trophy this year!!! I hope you enjoy the pics. Good luck to all who haven't had their races yet.

Below all our cars
ImageImage

Below daughters car. She took 1st. place in sibling division and was 5th. fastest out of 61 cars.
ImageImage

Below my 9 years old sons car. He wanted it the way it is. Was not sure how it would race being so skinny. We do not have a center rail on our track of course. He took home the Most creative design award.
ImageImage

Below may 11 years old sons car. He has taken to magic this year. He did not seem to be into the derby that much but was really into creating his design.

Below my wife's design. She had this idea for a whole year now. She lost the Best non scout design award by 4 votes.

And finally my car. I defended my title for Best non scout design.I had to custom make my axles and car needed to be let go on side of start gate because the holes for the start gate pins would cause it to fall over. It did make it once down the track. So I also took home the brake award for slowest adult hence the last place medal also. Now I will have to go for a three peat next year.
ImageImage

Thanks for viewing.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Our 2014 cars

Post by Noskills »

Very nice cars all around. Love the craftsmanship and imagination in all.

The sword car remind me of my sword of fire car
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ire#p68033

Very,very cool!

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Our 2014 cars

Post by whodathunkit »

Below my 11 years old sons car. He has taken to magic this year. He did not seem to be into the derby that much but was really into creating his design.

It is the un spoken ethic of all magicians to not reveal the secrets.. ;)
Well there gos asking about Design Secrets..
Good looking car Design and cool magic trick.. ;)

Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Wow... What an amazing collection of designs! Thanks for sharing!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Beautiful cars !!!
Is that a Pearl refinish on the bathtub???
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Some amazing cars there. Loving all of them, especially your Tron Lightcycle. Good stuff!
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Tron cycle is cool.
caleb204
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by caleb204 »

Wish I had seen your Tron car before starting on mine. I used the same image as a starting point but didn't think I could get away with matching the design exactly so I made a 3 wheeler. We also don't have the center rail on our track but side walls to define each lane. I came second in speed and first in design for the adult category. Mine was a colored epoxy for the glow lines and had some 3 watt black light led's inside with two coin batteries for power.

Did you use just two wheels for your car? or did you place the front and back wheels next to each other to make a wider base and use all 4 still.