Creative 2014 Car Designs

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Creative 2014 Car Designs

Post by Darin McGrew »

I looked for an existing thread where I could post a photo, but didn't find one. So, here's a thread for photos of creative designs for cars built in 2014.

Sorry, Speedster, but speed is irrelevant in this thread. :P

Here's the car I built for our derby (which was last Saturday). I call it "UPS".

In geocaching, UPS refers to an Unnatural Pile of Sticks (or Stones), which is a common sign geocachers look for when searching for a geocache. Some of the kids even noticed the camouflage-painted container under the UPS and recognized that it was a geocache car.
Pack200SC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Creative 2014 Car Designs

Post by Pack200SC »

Here's my unfinished K.I.T.T., with working, arduino controlled LEDs.

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Very nice! Love seeing creativity. Taking our scout den geocaching is something I'd love to arrange sometime.

Those are interesting wheels. What kind of kit do you build from?
Darin McGrew wrote:I looked for an existing thread where I could post a photo, but didn't find one. So, here's a thread for photos of creative designs for cars built in 2014.

Sorry, Speedster, but speed is irrelevant in this thread. :P

In geocaching, UPS refers to an Unnatural Pile of Sticks (or Stones), which is a common sign geocachers look for when searching for a geocache. Some of the kids even noticed the camouflage-painted container under the UPS and recognized that it was a geocache car.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Vitamin K wrote:Taking our scout den geocaching is something I'd love to arrange sometime.
Geocaching works well as part of a group hike. I avoid taking kids to nearby urban/suburban geocaches. Even if I trust all the kids completely, I don't necessarily trust the friends and classmates who hear about hidden containers with "free toys" in them. So instead, I take the kids to a park or open space that is some distance away. Or, for a short introduction to geocaching, I take them somewhere on the church campus where I've hidden a bunch of containers, and let them raise their hands when they spot a container that hasn't been pointed out yet.

Try to teach the kids to play huckle buckle beanstalk style, instead of three musketeers style. That way, everyone gets a chance to actually find the geocaches, instead of being shown where someone else found them.
Vitamin K wrote:Those are interesting wheels. What kind of kit do you build from?
Those are the wheels that come with CSB's Shape N Race Derby kits.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote:Those are interesting wheels. What kind of kit do you build from?
Those are the wheels that come with CSB's Shape N Race Derby kits.

Darin, I was just fixing to say.. Nice wheels on the CSB's Geocaching car!
When did CSB's remove the sidewall lettering on the wheels?
Seems I recall the CSB's wheels at one time had some sidewall lettering on them also..
or I'm thinking of a different wheel type that looks the same as the CSB's wheels.

I know the Royal Ambassadors use a solid wheel type with out any spokes..
How wide is the CSB's Shape N Race car block ?
I know that kit block has notches cut out for the wheels and that it is wider in between the wheel notches.

I'd like to get a few of these kits.. Because I like your Rules..if the car fits the track it races!

Been thinking I'd like to get Creative here!
And maybe try and do up a car Idea I know you might like.

How about
A QUICK DRAW McGRAW & the HUCKLEBERRY HOUND (stage coach!)
With Quick Draw McGraw the horse as the driver & his sidekick Huckleberry Hound rideing Shotgun.

Or maybe even the old 1964 Universal models version of Draculas Dragstrer with polar lights.
Don't worrie under your rules I've got an crazy.. Outlaw car idea for you.

That Speedster's speed will not match! :-P

The car is a dragster by design that has a long hole cut out for the starting pin to fit over & drop threw..
& only has to role just the tiniest of bit to trip the sensor when released.
As its design runs from the starting pin to just the tiniest bit in front of the sensor..
and still fits the track under your rules. :yahoo:

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

whodathunkit wrote:When did CSB's remove the sidewall lettering on the wheels?
I first used the new wheels for our 1991 derby. But the change might have happened in 1990, since we often use the leftover kits from the previous year for the adults.

The old wheels had raised lettering ("CSB" and "PWD") on the sidewall, no spokes, a flat tread, and a sprue on the edge of the wheel that touches the center guide rail. The new wheels have no lettering on the sidewall, spokes, a raised ridge on the tread, and no sprue.
whodathunkit wrote:How wide is the CSB's Shape N Race car block ?
The blocks have changed over the years too. The width at the axle slot is (and was) 1 5/8 inches. The full width including the "ears" is now 2 1/4 inches. The full width of the older blocks was 2 1/2 inches.
whodathunkit wrote:Because I like your Rules..if the car fits the track it races!
FWIW, that's the rule for our local derby. It's really independent of the kits used, and other CSB units may or may not use that rule. (And you might have a tough time selling your "outlaw" interpretation of "fit the track" to our inspectors.)
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Darin, the car is beautiful. I know you do a wonderful job with the children. Bless You.

You and others have taught me to have a more open mind. Perhaps we each have a place regarding the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. We have wonderful adults who put on "workshops" in our area and I'm not going to be missed at those workshops. Who knows, they might be glad I'm gone. I have been offered our township hall, free of charge, and I'm going to open a District wide workshop for those who are interested in how to build a fast car. The cars will be built over a period of time and my track and timer will be available for tuning at the hall. Those without the tools and/or know how will then have a chance of winning a race. I think we're going to have lots of fun and make a lot of new friends. Time will tell.

Whoda, my friend, you're dreaming. I have a Radio Controlled car, custom built chassis which ends up being a slot car chassis, McDonalds Funny car body from Revell for looks, set up with the 18th scale Mamba speed control and brushless motor that has been clocked at 65 Miles per hour in a Losi Mini-T RC car. Traction is gotten from slot car rear rubber wheels and I'm sure you know the special rubber used in slot car racing really digs. The longer the track the better. I have a nice supply of ring and pinion gears that can be changed within minutes. The car is a natural Railrider because of the torque. Life is Good. My son lives in Athens, Texas. Do you have a track? Maybe we can meet this summer.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Darin McGrew wrote:FWIW, that's the rule for our local derby. It's really independent of the kits used, and other CSB units may or may not use that rule. (And you might have a tough time selling your "outlaw" interpretation of "fit the track" to our inspectors.)
Shucks.. Darin,
I guess I should have asked you how long the CSB's kit block is (7 in) or so
& what the wheel spaceing regs for the CSB's Shape N Race kit are as well.

My "outlaw" creative dragster design interpretation of fit the track won't work.. :scratching:
Who are you useing for the inspector .. Speedster?
Yeah!!! I'd have a tuff time selling the outlaw design interpretation to him as the inspector
he'd work his radio controlle into the design and get a good jump start. ;)

Thanks for the CSB's kit info though.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Speedster wrote:My son lives in Athens, Texas.
I went to high school not far from Athens, and I went to Junior College in Athens, TX. Nice out there. About 70 mikes from where I live now.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Here's a PDF design template that shows the dimensions of our kits:
https://www.pbc.org/system/files/588/or ... k.2013.pdf" target="_blank
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks for the PDF link Darin.

So the kit block is 2-1/4w x 1-1/8h x 6-15/16 long..
With off set 7/32 inch deep axle slots with a wheel base of 3-11/16 inches.

Does the weight pocket come pre-milled into the bottom middle of the block as well
And do you let the kids bevel the inside wheel hubs ?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

whodathunkit wrote:Does the weight pocket come pre-milled into the bottom middle of the block as well
Yes. Although the exact location and dimensions of the weight pocket vary a bit from year to year.
whodathunkit wrote:And do you let the kids bevel the inside wheel hubs ?
We don't allow reshaping of the wheels or axles. Manufacturing irregularities can be removed, but that's it. But keep in mind that ours is a small, relatively low-key derby. If we didn't provide drill presses at our workshops, most cars would have horrible alignment.

But back on topic, where are the other creative designs?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I understand speed is irrelevant in this thread but I felt this car was creative. It is being built to challenge Nutty Pine this summer. I will test it with a 2 oz block behind the rear axle slot and a 1.8 oz block in front. I'll get a time on that set-up, switch the blocks and get a time. I'll then cut off the back, move it to the front, and install 2 rows of 6, 1/4" cubes with the 2 oz. block in the front and then the 1.8 oz. block in the front. The fastest time set up will be used and a spider web skin from Max V will cover the car. If using 4 ounces of added weight puts it over 5 ounces I have a lot of wood I can drill out of the center.
Please disregard this car is being built for speed.Image
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Darin,

I know how you like photo's of unusual derby cars & creative designs.

For the creative car design I thought of for 2014: :idea:
I thought I'd do up another tool inspired design derby car..
benes how you seem to have some tool inspired car designs on your web site. ;)

When I got to thinking about what tool type would make for a cool looking design..
and that has a balance point that of what like derby cars also have.
Or even something that could be changed up on the tool to change the point of balance.

Well, it made me think of a pipe wrench by it's design.

So I started on cutting and shapeing this pipe wrench design out. ( just last night!)
To see what a pipe wrench inspired derby car would even look like..
as I myself have never seen one built.

Anyway this is what I came up with to be creative.
Mark.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Amazing, especially when you consider its in the span of one night.