New car for districts

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

New car for districts

Post by Noskills »

As the pack car if off to the mid America we had to whip off another car. Here are a few in progress shots

I bought a new 1/4 milling bit and cut out my first real rail car. We covered it in balsa and sealed with CA glue. Also tapered the nose and covered in balsa. One of our lightest cars so far. Did not have time to find another cover but the balsa and CA work well.

Lots of primer 8)

So my son tells me that the Stampy fellow is a "famous" minecraft player. So we got his logo and put it on the car. Add some cool yellow pin stripes from Speedster and here we are so far. This could be a very sublte Minecraft theme-any of you guys know thus Stampy Cat person?

So far this car is pretty aggressive. COM of 4/8th. Stock wheels and axles are per rules. Going to really dial up the drift here maybe 4.5 to 5 in over 4 ft.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New car for districts

Post by birddog »

Noskills-

What process did you use to get the logo on the car?

It looks great!

birddog
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Birddog,
Printed it on adhesive label paper and covered it with clear adhesive label paper ( to keep the graphite off). The rest is paint and pin stripes.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Team Noskills,

Can't say that I've ever seen a Mr. Stampy cat car.. but i'm not much into the minecraft games also.
But I will say this Seth, It's looking good and I like the black and gold look for the paint job.

Good luck at districts with the new car! We had our council and district Pinewood Derby races today. I raced the 2 mini coopers and took 2nd and 3rd place in the adult outlaw. However, there were some kids racing in the adult outlaw as well so to do the right thing I forfeited my win to those that placed after me. Like Stan always says: "If it's not for the boys it's for the birds". My main purpose for being there was to set up the history of the Pinewood Derby display that Andy and Noah made for me. That's where I had the most fun!!

Please let us know how your race goes. Best of luck!
Whoda
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Looking very good..
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

All done
Not our best paintjob-the rattle car got al plugged up and the mist of paint was too coarse.

Here are the stats. All stock parts. Extended from end so the wheelbase is standard. COM of 5/8th. 3 Wheel RR, Drift of 4 in over 4 ft. Covered the bottom with clear packing tape (cant see here).

So this will be our first district race. Lets hope this Stampy is faster than the pack champion we mailed to Omaha.

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Oh-forgot to say that I went with the 10 cubes behind the axle as I have heard some recommend. Got 13 in front plus a little putty.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Nicely done. Did you learn anything new from Carbon Fiber that you applied here?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Hey Topspin,
From the carbon fiber car I practiced and applied tapering the noise with the bandsaw. I learned a bit about making a very light car but since I never saw carbon fiber race I don't know how it rode the rail. I suspect it had some bad wobble and based on that dialed up the drift in this one.
Will ley you know hoes it goes.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New car for districts-results added

Post by Noskills »

Well, it was a bittersweet victory. As anyone who follows the section on running races I was concerned that our district race would die from lack of show. Well we had 16 cars. My son won pretty easily. He did have a PR on the same track we use for the pack of 2.962. My daughter had the second fastest car running 3.02 with an old car (hers was at the mid america still). So next year I am running the district race and I hope to triple the attendance and bring in the competition. They even skimped on the trophies with the 1st place one being smaller that the first place one we used at the pack level.
Overall the kids had fun and I got to bust someone trying to sneak in 1 gm wheels ;)
Let's hope for a better race next year. Will be re-reading old posted in that area for some time.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Congratulations, on the win and on keeping them from cancelling the event.

I'm sure you'll make it a great event next year. Our district trophies last year and this year were pretty weak. They were donated by the council scout shop... so the smaller BSA trophies. If you let us race in your open class next year, we'd be happy to join you.

Looks like you've gotten pretty consistent on building fast cars. You'll be tough next year too.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Has anyone out there tried the Slo Mo video function on an iphone for looking at PWD races? If I can figure out how to post a video I would. Well I have normal speed and slow mo videos of this car at districts. Its amazing to see the wobble in slow mo that you cannot see with the normal speed. This was our fastest car yet so perhaps I will ask my son if its OK to increase the wheelbase and run this at next years mid America.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Seth,
Is the phone an.. I phone5s?

The secound the video gos to a computer it's bumped to regular speed.
The video still retains 120 frames per sec of the I phone original.

So all you need to do to get that slow-motion effect is import the video
to your favorite editor (i movie, final cut, or what ever else.)
And drop the speed to 25% of the original..
This gives you the same effect as a Mac or the I phone itself.

Can't waite to see the slow-motion video .. Seth.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?