*Fenders* Nellie Faye

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: *Fenders* Nellie Faye

Post by sporty »

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

This will be my last Nellie faye car for awhile, I started on it today, nothing special really. Im dong another zombie / walking dead car. Before I move onto a few other styles of fender cars I want to do.

I have been at a pretty busy pace with cars and will be also slowing done very soon.

I did try rubbing super glue on the wood this time, I had not tried this and it does work better then I thought. I should have done this a bit sooner.

flat white.

If you notice, I do seem to always have a bit of trouble with the balsa. when I make the fenders, the hole saw, It seems the hole is a tad small. so I have to remove some to widen the hole. When I do that sometimes I do get the roundness out of wack.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Jack Reacher Done.

Had a bad mishap tho. in between clear coats, was still wet. wind blew it onto the ground. So not as nice as I would have liked. Oh well, I still like it.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Say Sporty,
Your cars are really sharp looking and the gloss coat looks good!

Are you using 1/4'' tungsten cubes for the car or the max-v tungsten bars.
as seen here:
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ars#p73955

Been thinking about re-designing my guitar cars to a much thinner body with very little wood weight.
And thought these tungsten bars would work better then trying to glue all the 1/4'' cubes in.

Have you tried the tungsten bars out?
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

whodathunkit wrote:Say Sporty,
Your cars are really sharp looking and the gloss coat looks good!

Are you using 1/4'' tungsten cubes for the car or the max-v tungsten bars.
as seen here:
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ars#p73955

Been thinking about re-designing my guitar cars to a much thinner body with very little wood weight.
And thought these tungsten bars would work better then trying to glue all the 1/4'' cubes in.

Have you tried the tungsten bars out?

I have not tried the bars out, But I am interested in trying a set out at some point.

Only some of the cars have weight in them. I have more cars then weight right now. I just tape the weight in, I wont glue it.

Since most of these cars are not racing, unless I run them at a pack race or something. I got good axle whole and axle drilling and cant done on them, but not all of them have weight. cant afford right now to get a pound of weight, lol.

Getting a great clear is easy, I either use a professional can of clear, not cheap, $18 or I use rust oleum, acrylic lacquer from autozone.

its all about wet sanding and prep before you clear.

now,

here is last car, almost done.

Once I got it dry, ill add the wheels. they are the ones I posted with the green paint in the center of the wheels, a few posts back. and Ill have to see if it needs another coat of clear, to be thick enough to not see the clear sticker edges.

Sporty
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Do you polish the clear coat as well? Saw a video of [no advertising for this vendor] lay down a decal and put 3 coats of clear over it then wet sand with 2k grit or higher then buff with auto polish.

As for your decals...Are you printing on a water slide decal paper or are you using a sticky back photo paper. I tried Testers decal paper, the ink didn't lay down nice and left a lot of crackling. I tried out printing on the white Avery label paper that I use for shipping but the colors are a little matted. I was thinking of trying some HP sticky back glossy photo paper next.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

ngyoung wrote:Do you polish the clear coat as well? Saw a video of [no advertising for this vendor] lay down a decal and put 3 coats of clear over it then wet sand with 2k grit or higher then buff with auto polish.

As for your decals...Are you printing on a water slide decal paper or are you using a sticky back photo paper. I tried Testers decal paper, the ink didn't lay down nice and left a lot of crackling. I tried out printing on the white Avery label paper that I use for shipping but the colors are a little matted. I was thinking of trying some HP sticky back glossy photo paper next.

I wet sand upto 1500,2000, before I clear coat. I do this before I add decals or sticker, then the clear coat.

Sometimes I wet sand the clear and buff/polish. Found tho on these fenders car, its a increased risk, esp on balsa fenders. sometimes you have to put a bit of pressure on the buffer to get the high gloss.

So I pass most of the time, unless I feel it is worth doing, and a good clear coat and prior prep, gives a good finish, if its for a show or want to look amazing for a pro race or something, then it might be worth the effort.

I have used a wide range of stuff.

INKJET Self Adhesive Glossy Vinyl Decal Paper

that's what I used on the zombie car I just did. Its a bit thicker of a decal, the clear, you can get in white or clear. I get it off ebay.

I have used other stuff, too. rub on dry transfer decal, prints and them uses a separate piece to stick on and then pull off and apply. not the best, works, but more work then needed.

mostly, this stuff only works, any of it, with a white car. the colors will not show up very well if at all on black or ect. needs to be white.

the only other option, is having a color vinyl lettering machine, there not too cheap.

Allot of my one color decals, I just on my old cutter,plotter. but cant do images with it,

The hardest part out of all of this.

many inkjets or laser jet printers. its hard to get a good print of something small. (color, many colors), when you get to .25 and smaller, the common machines are not designed to go that small.

Have no idea what is.

But I like what I use, works for me.

INKJET Self Adhesive Glossy Vinyl Decal Paper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351195793863

the dry rub on transfer decal I have used is here-

http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20rub%20o ... media.html

and this- no spray needed for this one.

http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/7.htm

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Even after a few coats of clear, I can still see the thicker clear plastic. I can live with it, I also noticed some wrinkles in my vinyl top cover, I think this was caused from a reaction from the different clear I used this time, or due to a different vinyl I bought this time, compared to my regular brand.

Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:kewlpics:
sporty wrote:Im dong another zombie / walking dead car.
:offtopic: I've never seen The Walking Dead, so here's a question I just gotta ask after seeing the "Zombie Killer": how do you kill someone/something that is already dead? :scratching:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

FatSebastian wrote::kewlpics:
sporty wrote:Im dong another zombie / walking dead car.
:offtopic: I've never seen The Walking Dead, so here's a question I just gotta ask after seeing the "Zombie Killer": how do you kill someone/something that is already dead? :scratching:
Well. Head shot or knife to the head, that's how the do it.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

6 pages, 6 cars.

What one did you like best ?

I did two pumas. Two monsters, two walking dead and 1 jack reacher.

Sporty
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Nice stable you have there!
I am very curious about those Max V weights.
Tungsten shapes have become something of a side hobby for me. Lol
Maybe I will get a couple.
I picked up a bunch of those mini barrels from Max V
It was Something like $2/ oz at the time!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

sporty wrote:6 pages, 6 cars. What one did you like best ?
Sporty, I like all of them!
The paint job you did for the 2nd Monster car is the one I like. ;)

I'v also been tinkering with the fenders.

Guitar pick fenders! ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

That's pretty neat.

I'm waiting for some bass wood and enjoying a break.