1968 Citroen DS

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

1968 Citroen DS

Post by Noskills »

Well, I owe this pics to DT after sending out the teaser photos. Big thanks to Andy for helping me think through some issues and thanks to Whoda for the support.

I dont use autocad but I can scale a photo to 7 inches and work from there:

Drilling canted rears with the Silver Bullet

I dont have a scrollsaw but I can use a fornster bit to cut out wheel sized holes in the fenders. Did two a time, taped together.

Used some sandpaper glued to a wheel to round out the size of the wheel well. You can see I chuncked up the edges a bit. Lots of wood putty here.

So here is the block. Even getting here was pretty hard. Lining everything up...

My 7 in image fits well on the block.

Thanks to my kindergarden teacher I can trace well! :D

Now, just to prove I have no skills, I did not find out that my bandsaw height was adjustable until I cut the whole car out by hand. Mostly used cross cut saw as the coping saw was too wobbly.

looking kind of lop sided! (acutally added some balsa to the roof as the height was off)

Constantly tracing key car features was helpful during the shaping.

Here I am figuring out the head of the nail is going to catch the fender skirt when I get them in place. Andy suggested trimming and putting in a notch...worked well. (also had to narrow the wheels as the rears were going to get trapped by the fender skit as I tapered the rear of the car).

Went with the 2 tone white and Angora Blue. Testers had a Light Blue that was really close (saved a trip to the auto paint some and about $20)

Decals for the headlights.
Made this for my buddy the classic car buff, Dr. Joos. (hoping to give this to him then ask him for a donation to our district race which he can now enter ;) )
I think Andy said he uses sheets of tin to cover the bottom. I cut up a diet Coke can and sprayed it flat black.

It wont be fast but it was fun to make. Already thinking about doing a 1962 (single headlight) and fixing all the mistakes I made on this one. Its not a as good as the real artists on this site but I enjoyed ever second of making it.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 1968 Citroen DS

Post by Scrollsawer »

Very very cool! I wish I had the time to tinker like that! Working on making 'Arrow of Light' plaques for my Webelos Den currently. Maybe once my days as a Webelos Den Leader are over (Feb. 28th at midnight), then I can play more.

The Citroen looks great. Great job making the bandsaw act like a scrollsaw or coping saw.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:o WOW!!!! Seth.

You are a derby car artist it looks good.. :thumbup:

I like your drum sander idea also.. it takes Skills to come up a sander like that one. ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

That's a work of art! Thanks for sharing!
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Dang Seth!

That is a beauty!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The sander rocks!
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Totally awesome.

BTW - the sandpaper on wheel trick is how I make my fenders.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Seth-

Time to change your login name. It may have suited you for your first year here, but this last post just puts it into the realm of ridiculousness.

How about "LotsOfSkills" instead? You are now a master pinewood derby builder and nobody would argue with that.

birddog
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

awesome! :thumbup:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

birddog wrote:Time to change your login name. It may have suited you for your first year here, but this last post just puts it into the realm of ridiculousness.
Nah, it's just an ironic nickname, like calling your fat friend "Slim", or calling your tall friend "Shorty"...
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Darin McGrew wrote:Nah, it's just an ironic nickname, like calling your fat friend "Slim", or calling your tall friend "Shorty"...
Nah, ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeVtZjGII-I :)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Well the car served it's purpose. I have it it my friend the classic car collector and told him if he sponsored our district race he could race it there. He gave us the. Obey and decided not to race it so it wouldn't get banged up. Now I have the awesome memories of building it, these pictures and your nice comments.
Noskills.
Still like the name.
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite