2016 Cars

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
mustangcrusie
Apprentice
Apprentice

2016 Cars

Post by mustangcrusie »

Greetings,
I just recently completed a few interesting cars and would like to share them. First, the mammoth was a challenge. The skeleton was carved from one block of wood. The second car is a replica of the Daytona Coupe CSX2299. The third is one that I have been wanting to do for some time. I finally figured out how to build it to scale and have the wheels not interfere with the engines. Finally, the last one is for those who enjoy playing music.
Enjoy.....
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2016 Cars

Post by Vitamin K »

Beautiful! Those are some amazing pieces of woodworking!

Did you carve the notes in the Indiana car by hand?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Mustang crusie, Welcome!

Very nice looking cars enjoyed the pix's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
mustangcrusie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mustangcrusie »

Following up on the notes, I used a scroll saw to cut them out.

Another interesting note, the colors used on the Daytona are the same as the original car. Using the original paint codes, the local paint/body shop matched both colors. Kind of salty on the price though. The smallest container they sold was half quarts and for just the paint it was well over a hundred dollars. A gentleman at the local Ford dealer primed and painted it for me and he did a really, really nice job.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

mustangcrusie wrote:Following up on the notes, I used a scroll saw to cut them out.

Another interesting note, the colors used on the Daytona are the same as the original car. Using the original paint codes, the local paint/body shop matched both colors. Kind of salty on the price though. The smallest container they sold was half quarts and for just the paint it was well over a hundred dollars. A gentleman at the local Ford dealer primed and painted it for me and he did a really, really nice job.
Beautiful finish, but I'd have been hard pressed to part with that much money for a model's paint job!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

2016 Cars

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: Beautiful finish, but I'd have been hard pressed to part with that much money for a model's paint job!
But you would for shop tools for making the cars.

I recall hosting my first work shop there was a guy
who offered to help the kids paint there cars.
The guy worked in the body shop for Peterbuit trucks.. Talk about fun the kids got to spend some time in the body shop painting there cars.

Talk about some nice paint jobs on the cars!
And the extra paint setting around got used up instead of tossed out.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
mustangcrusie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mustangcrusie »

Following up on the Daytona Coupe, the plan for the car is to enter it into the SEMA/HRIA Pinewood Builders Challenge which is later this year. It's a neat event. A select few car builders (1 to 1 scale) from around the nation build pinewood derby cars. They are raced in July at a national event and then auctioned off at the SEMA show in Vegas. All proceeds go to the SEMA Cares charities which benefit Child Help and the Victory Junction facilities. Hopefully that gives an explanation as to why so much was put into the paint job. It was painted to match CSX2299. Otherwise, it was fun carving the car so it looked like a scale model of the original.

On a side note, the Indiana State Museum holds a pinewood derby race and design contest in early April. The race is really cool if you have not been there. The track is two stories tall and the cars are really moving at the finish line. The design contest is divided into seven categories. The mammoth won its category as well as best of show. The Daytona won most realistic and the other two placed second in their respective categories. The Museum will be holding it next year. If you get a chance to go, it's a really neat event.

Getting back the SEMA/HRIA event, I carved a '69 Mustang for the 2013 show and it was exciting watching the cars being auctioned off. I was really surprised as to how much the cars brought in for the two charities.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Wow... What beautiful designs! Thanks for sharing!
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Nice work, love the realistic looking stuff, I can appreciate the amount of time and skill it took to make them. Kudos