Poor Quality Wheels from Latest BSA Lot

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Poor Quality Wheels from Latest BSA Lot

Post by murphken » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:47 am

FYI: I have purchased over 200 wheel sets from BSA in the last month. The wheels are of very bad quality: large bores, severe radial and lateral runout, and many other defects. Defect rate is approximately greater than 50% defects.
Apparently, the manufacturer did not change the lot # on the wheel kits: IN0618. This lot # has produced excellent wheels in the past. So, buy lots of wheels and pick through them using a spin test.
Later,
Murph
SLT

Shining Light Tribology

Loud2ns
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Poor Quality Wheels from Latest BSA Lot

Post by Loud2ns » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:40 pm

murphken wrote:FYI: I have purchased over 200 wheel sets from BSA in the last month. The wheels are of very bad quality: large bores, severe radial and lateral runout, and many other defects. Defect rate is approximately greater than 50% defects.
Apparently, the manufacturer did not change the lot # on the wheel kits: IN0618. This lot # has produced excellent wheels in the past. So, buy lots of wheels and pick through them using a spin test.
Later,
Murph
SLT
Awana switched vendors a couple if years ago and the quality went down significantly on the wheels and axles. I wonder if they are both using the same place.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:10 am

murphken wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:47 am
FYI: I have purchased over 200 wheel sets from BSA in the last month.
Wow, Murph, you're really keeping busy in the Derby Game these days, huh? :D

murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:14 pm

It is a seasonal thing. Kind of fun when the wheels are good! We are a small fish in the big sea of PWD wheels. Side job. We focus on quality. It is probably our last year selling. I am almost to retirement and our focus is on other areas!
I am still waiting from the BSA central office to get back to me on what is going on. On Tuesday, they said that they have an enormous amount of wheels in stock from the latest production. I will let you know what I find out.
I chatted with a couple of league racers and they think that I might have gotten somebody's rejects. The league racers and cutters (wheel vendors) send back the bad ones to BSA. They just put the wheel kits back into stock. I purchased two large lots so I doubt I could have received the returns twice.

Shining Light Tribology

murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:49 pm

Quick update on Wheel Quality. It appears that BSA has a large lot of these wheels. They sent out inquiries to the manufacturer of the wheels. That will not help the situation. The wheel cutters and pro racers will buy a bunch of wheels and send the bad ones back for a refund. Some of the large cutters buy large amounts at one time. Those bad wheels go right back in stock! It is a vicious cycle!
I have purchased wheels from BSA over the years with some interesting outcomes. One time, most of the wheels were #11 molds which is the most frustrating wheel to deal with.
It would be interesting if anyone has input of the quality of wheels. My analysis of the situation is that there are still some good wheels in the current lot of wheels that BSA has. The percentage of good wheels is much lower. Based on the two large lots I had, it is difficult to recommend mold #s. The quality was erratic with no definite pattern.
Right now, I am not buying any more of the current wheel kits from BSA. The local scout shop in Mechanicsburg connected me with another Scout Shop in New York so I am good. I also found some old stock from a large Scout Shop in VA. My wife is going to kill me when the credit card bill shows-up!
Murph

Shining Light Tribology

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:55 am

Hello Everyone.
Please forgive my ignorance but I have some questions.
What is the difference between a bad wheel and a good wheel? I know the vendors always have 3 or 4 numbers they recommend as being the best and they are probably the easiest to make better. I have 100 sets of wheels (that's a different story) and some of them are very close to being round. They also are almost balanced. If any wheel is going to be machined by one of the super experts can't a bad wheel made to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. How many other things on a wheel, wobble, bad bore, etc, is considered a bad wheel and can't be used?
Thank you.

murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:25 am

Excessive lateral (side-to-side) runout > Wiggle!
Excessive radial (up-and-down) runout > Wobble!
Extremely large bores (outside of 95% CI range for bore diameter)
Just look at a wheel from mold #11 > that wheel exhibits most of the aspects of a bad wheel

Shining Light Tribology

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 am

I agree, some wheels are very bad. Since Derbytalk is directed toward Scout Racing, what info can be offered to help the beginner get some decent wheels without spending much money. Our workshops would have the scout turn his wheels on the runout gauge and then use the worst one for the lifted wheel since we were allowed to run on 3 wheels. The numbers 3, 5, 15 can be purchased for $8.95 plus shipping but that's getting expensive. Buying a lathed wheel is probably illegal for most Scouts.

We offer Troy Thorne"s book, Build a Winning Pinewood Derby Car, for sale for $10.00 and we have paid the shipping. Anyone buying the book is offered additional help. If science is followed every step of the way, the speed of the car might increase enough to win over a Big Bulky car with good wheels.

This was done before the Pandemic. We do have races but no longer do workshops.