More ebay Fun

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
brownboy
Pine Head
Pine Head

More ebay Fun

Post by brownboy »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 75996&rd=1

I saw this auction this morning before work, and left it on the computer when I left for work...
When I came home my wife was amazed, not that someone would try to sell a premade car... but more so that any parent in scouts would buy one..
talk about a great parent child memory...running to the front door to grab the package the UPS guy just left... and all for only $150 to your front door.

Great lesson for the kids.

I'm going to puke now.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: More ebay Fun

Post by ranman106 »

:clap: :lol:
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
twojakes
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by twojakes »

It actually gets worse:

$203
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5957733914

$192
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955985976

What is so appalling is not just the "winning" bidders, but the dozens of other bidders who also tried to cheat but lost the auction.

Sick.
NiteMare
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NiteMare »

Don't get me wrong here I agree fully that the main purpose for the competition is so that parents and children work together; learn physics together and just a ton of other positive experiences that are lost when you do something like this.
I am just curious as to where you draw the line? Purchasing special axles, matched wheel sets, etc.
We were lucky because we have the access to lathes, milling machines; CNC machines and we even put our car on a CMM to check our alignment.
But a lot of people can't do that so I don't see anything wrong with purchasing some of those items and still building a car with your child. But to just flat out purchase a built car, and for that kind of mula is just crazy.
Built it and they will come
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

We know who Fastcars427 is "hasn't won much since Panzer showed up", but I e-mailed the "Physics teacher" to ask how his cars were BSA legal, when the cub had no part in the construction. He replied with the single mom story ect. trying to justify himself. Also, asked if his cars were so fast, why doesn't he send one into WIRL, so we can see just how fast they are"Fastest stock cars out there". He didn't reply to that part of the question, but I beg to differ!
Man, we LOVE showing those types of people the back end of a car!

Warp Speed Inc.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
kcobb
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by kcobb »

Obviously the sellers have either A. Never been a scout, or B. Could care less about what we are attempting to teach our Youth in learning and abiding by the Scout law and oath. Such a wonderful program. Too bad there are those out there that never learned those ways of life. Let's just hope we're strong enough to ensure our children know and learn better!
Kevin
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

kcobb wrote:Obviously the sellers have either A. Never been a scout, or B. Could care less about what we are attempting to teach our Youth in learning and abiding by the Scout law and oath. Such a wonderful program. Too bad there are those out there that never learned those ways of life. Let's just hope we're strong enough to ensure our children know and learn better!
After communicating with some of these eBay sellers, their basic "justifications" are:

1. To help out kids with single moms
2. To help out kids with "drive by" parents (parents that slow down just enough to drop their kids off at a den or pack meeting)
3. To help out a kid who has not had a competitive car (crying kid story)
4. They are helping out their pack with the proceeds (the ends do not justify the means!)
5. To be a good scout by helping other scouts (how is building the car and just handing it to the kid really helping them?)

Another response that I got was essentially "Mind your own business and don't push your morals on me". I guess they don't like being confronted with the truth of the matter.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Den_Leader »

I followed the e-bay link to the sellers homepage, on a page within that site here is the text "Now Availiable....Plain Jane one color non-fancy cars! We have gotten many requests for a "derbymaster" fast-car that doesn't look like one of our cars. In other words, a car that we build that is a winner, but just has a plain old one color paint job, so that it doesn't stand out in a crowd. Word on the street is, that cubmasters are printing out pictures of cars we sell on ebay and they are watching for them at races. So...get ahead of them and buy a plain jane. Drop us an email and tell us what color you want. Basic plain jane cars are built at flat rate $100. per car. Buy one of our cars built and tested and paint it yourself for a flat fee of $75.00 per car."

I'd love to here the justification for those remarks. Oh well, there have always been individuals with low morals in our society, and I guess there always will be.
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

NiteMare wrote:I am just curious as to where you draw the line?
We require that the wheels, axles, and block from the original kit be used. And while it isn't a rule, it's a clear expectation that the kids will build the cars with adult assistance, not the other way around. Cars built by adults race in the All Comers division.
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

We require a new car each year. At least this type of cheating is'nt cheap
5 years at $200 a year = $1000!

I'd take my kid on a trip out of town before I'd spend $200 on a car
that is going to race 6-7 times at 3 seconds each. ( Uh-OH Starting to sound like my wife.)

I am more concerned about the use of NyOil when races like ours only allow dry lubes. The word is just not out there at Districts about NyOil.
From what I am reading in previuos posts not every Scout is Trustworthy. Not saying Randy should'nt sell it I just wish everyone could use it

Very Alarming. Are we just memorizing promises and pledges but our words don't mean anything. Some example we set for our kids when we don't.
NiteMare
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NiteMare »

clemsontigerfanatic Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: More ebay Fun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am more concerned about the use of NyOil when races like ours only allow dry lubes. The word is just not out there at Districts about NyOil.
From what I am reading in previuos posts not every Scout is Trustworthy. Not saying Randy should'nt sell it I just wish everyone could use it
I don't think its the scouts but the parents. And in the long run its their own kid they are hurting.
BTW what is Nyoil?
Built it and they will come
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

NiteMare wrote:BTW what is Nyoil?
It's a Thin Film Lubricant from Maximum Velocity.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

NiteMare wrote:
clemsontigerfanatic Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: More ebay Fun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think its the scouts but the parents. And in the long run its their own kid they are hurting.
BTW what is Nyoil?
Personally, I feel the graphite only rule is rediculous when the justification is so the lube doesn't foul the track. Wipe down a track at the end of a race and see just how much graphite has fouled the track! Then check the Pit Area and you will find even more. If the intent is to not foul the track, then over application of graphite should be disallowed and use of thin film liquid lubes like NyOil should be allowed.
Den_Leader wrote:I followed the e-bay link to the sellers homepage, on a page within that site here is the text "Now Availiable....Plain Jane one color non-fancy cars! We have gotten many requests for a "derbymaster" fast-car that doesn't look like one of our cars. In other words, a car that we build that is a winner, but just has a plain old one color paint job, so that it doesn't stand out in a crowd. Word on the street is, that cubmasters are printing out pictures of cars we sell on ebay and they are watching for them at races. So...get ahead of them and buy a plain jane. Drop us an email and tell us what color you want. Basic plain jane cars are built at flat rate $100. per car. Buy one of our cars built and tested and paint it yourself for a flat fee of $75.00 per car."

I'd love to here the justification for those remarks. Oh well, there have always been individuals with low morals in our society, and I guess there always will be.
Unbelieveable :wall: With some of these sellers, it is obvious that they are in it for the $$$ and don't really care about the kids. I'll betchya DerbyMaster has been monitoring Derby Talk to find that out.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:
NiteMare wrote:BTW what is Nyoil?
It's a Thin Film Lubricant from Maximum Velocity.
It is also available from other sources on the web. MaxV started selling it and others took note and started selling it as well. Nothing wrong with that as long as your rules allow the use of these types of lubricants.
Randy Lisano

oldfordsrule
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by oldfordsrule »

To provide a kit that takes care of some of the more difficult PWD construction tasks and uses official BSA components would violate the cub-built rule, but then so would pre-polished axles and other speed supplies other than tools. If the rules are specific enough, these issues could be addressed. However, to provide 'plain janes' or bare cars specifically to deceive inspectors is the worst type of cheating. Also, the price point on the cheater specials is well beyond what a sane single mother would spend. In my neck of the woods, we have some very high income single moms who could definitely afford the hundred bills, but I know they wouldn't. They do the best they can with their cubs or ask for help. Tomorrow my boys and I will help their friend who comes from such a situation. Maybe you can find one in your Den/Pack.

Seminars and/or workshops are one way to help prevent purchase of 'ebay' cars. Maybe it's time that the rules use stronger language regarding purchased cars.

BTW, here's a testimonial for the builders of cheater specials: Last one I saw at a district race did not even place. My son dropped and broke his bonafide home-made car after the car was complete, just before we mounted the wheels. After a couple tears and CA glue- he won pack and placed third in district, ugly glued portion and all. That year's district winning car was a simple wedge that had kid's fingerprints all over it.