BSA Kit History

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

BSA Kit History

Post by MaxV »

I would like to write an article for the 'Pinewood Derby Times' regaring the history of the BSA pinewood derby kit. I have quite a bit of information, but have not been able to determine dates for the introduction of several versions of the kit. There are no dates on the boxes, and the instructions (except Kit 1) all have a copyright of 1985.

Below are photos of (what I believe) are all of the kits provided by Beta Crafts. If anyone can help be me with dates of introduction, I would greatly appreciate it - I am trying to get the information from Beta Craft, but no luck yet.

Kit 1 - 1956?

Kit 2 - Date?
Similar to modern kit, but with cockpit cutout on block, raised lettering ('CMI') on sidewall and no lettering on interior of wheels.

Kit 3 - Date?
ImageImage
(Two wheel photos from http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-wheels.html)
Similar to kit 2, except for wheel change (no raised lettering on sidewalls, lettering inside) wheels.

Kit 4 - Date?
Same as kit 3, but part number changed, and bar code added.

Kit 5 - Date?
Same as kit 4, but cockpit does not exist on block (note the black end flap).

All future kits have a gold end flap, and were made by a different company (Kahoot).

By the way, I am trying to find one of the first kits made by Kahoot. It looks like the modern kit, except that it has wheels like in this picture:
(Photo from http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-wheels.html)
Note the current spoke pattern, but no raised lettering. If anyone has one of these kits, and is willing to part with it, please let me know. I'll pay a reasonable price.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: BSA Kit History

Post by Stephen's Dad »

I don't know who made this kit but it is the same as the one I used as a boy in 1972. The card isn't dated but the selling price had been hand written as $.69 which is interesting.

Perhaps we can learn some more about this one?

The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I believe the kit in the photo is the same as the 1956 kit. They generally sold them in bulk, but also had individual retail packaging. If you are willing to sell the one you have, let me know.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Randy:

I may provide more of a complication than an clarification on this subject.

I believe I have what may be kits #1.5 and #1.9 (i.e. fit in between your kits #1 and #2 above).

For kit #1.5: The kit number appears to be 622, although it is quite likely that it is a 1622 with the 1 rubbed off from the packaging.

It is similar to the 1690 kit, but with the front (note still wide) axle slot moved back into the block instead of at the leading edge and with the 1622 wheels (CMI lettering). I will have to take a closer look later at the axles, I believe they were flatheads (as found in the 1690 kit) rather than rounded heads (as found in the newer 1622 kits). I am tempted to make a joke about PWD "evolution" and the "missing link" kit, but... See pics below (yes, I am still photographically challenged):

For kit #1.9: The kit number is 1622, and it appears to be identical to your kit #2 (wide axle slot replaced by narrow groove) except that it is in packaging similar to the 1690 kit. I didn't go line by line, but the instructions printed on the back look similar to those included as a folded document in the boxed 1622 kits.

Unfortunately I only have one each of the 2 kits pictured above and am not willing to part with them (at least not at a reasonable price), but I believe I have an extra 1690 kit if it would be for your own use.

Just shoot me a PM regarding a price on the 1690 and opportunity for better pictures, if needed, of the above kits.

Regards,

Rick
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

It looks like Kit 1.5 is one I hadn't found - thanks. If anyone has one of these kits, I would like to purchase one.
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Bulldog »

Awesome bit of nostalgia, fellas!

I remember using either kit 1 or 1.5 when I was a boy in the 70's- probably around 1974, when my older brother was in scouts, but my Dad helped me build one so I wouldn't feel left out. I remember the wide axle slots.

I definitely remember the 1.9 kit in the mid to late 70's when I was a cub scout. Can't tell from the photo, but if I remember correctly, this kit still had the cockpit cutout.
joe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by joe »

I'd like to know dates of these kits also. This is not a 'big' help, but Zip Codes were instituted in July of l963, and were not in common usage until a l967 mandate for second and third class mail. Also the 2-letter abbreviations for state names came into usage about the same time (I think!). The one kit shown with wide axle slots and "tall" orientation of block has neither zip code or 2-letter abbreviation. Thus I think it might be a bit earlier than the 70's.
I have an old white box from when the kits came in bulk, it holds 8 kits -- they are not individually packaged. I suspect it might be from the 50's, the price of the ENTIRE box I think was penciled on the top, $2.40 if I remember correctly.