Getting to the Race on Time -- in One Piece...

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Getting to the Race on Time -- in One Piece...

Post by TDean »

Hey pineheads --
How do you transport your car to -- and from -- your home to the races? Stick it in a cigar box? Wrap it in a towel? Custom build a velvet-lined chest?
For years I've been cutting out a exact car-shaped hole from some of that grey polyurethane (I think) packing foam to make a snug fit (though not snug on the wheels!) -- and place it in a 4x3x8.5 box (that I was able to pick up once in bulk). That seems to work great -- even for my "unusual" (non-wedge) designs.
Anyone else have some good ideas -- or bad ones to avoid?
TDean
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Getting to the Race on Time -- in One Piece...

Post by Darin McGrew »

TDean wrote:How do you transport your car to -- and from -- your home to the races?
We encourage everyone to bring a shoebox or something similar to keep all their car parts in. I just transport mine in whatever box I'm using that year.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Part of the cub car experience in our pack is to build wooden boxes for the cars. The leaders (or a parent) cut out pieces from tangerine crates and end panels out of pine. The thin crate material forms three sides and the top which slides into pre-cut slots in the pine ends. The cubs only need to tack them together with small nails and decorate them. They have fun with it. 8)

Terry
SteveJahr
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SteveJahr »

I like the cub box building idea.

We had the cubs build car stands as a background activity during our derby but I could see a car box too.

We had registration the weekend before the PWD and impounded the cars. I asked for cars to be delivered in shoe boxes. Unfortunately this had a few problems:

A) the boxes were *all* different sizes with some very large
B) usually there was nothing in the way of padding in the box
C) not all cars came with boxes.

We improvised with 1 gallon zip-loc bags and actually this is all I will use next year. What happens with these it that you close them with some air trapped inside and then roll the bag around the car. It forms a bubble padding around the car that way. Nice, uniform, compact, and very simple.
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

We have a nice shoebox with bubblewrap around it. We also put a 1/2" tall 1 3/4" wide piece of wood to keep the wheels up.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Here's a pic of my son's kar box. It has grey foam pieces hotmelt glued inside to keep it's wheels protected. The stick on numbers are from the various races it qualified for.

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

SteveJahr wrote:We had registration the weekend before the PWD and impounded the cars. I asked for cars to be delivered in shoe boxes. Unfortunately this had a few problems:

A) the boxes were *all* different sizes with some very large
B) usually there was nothing in the way of padding in the box
C) not all cars came with boxes.
During impound, we store cars on racks. Each rack is a piece of plywood with legs that raise the back. The cars rest on the plywood, and strips of wood keep them from rolling forward. The racks even stack: The front corners have upward-facing legs that match the ones in back. Another rack can rest with its front on the upward-facing legs of the rack below, and with its back legs on the back of the rack below.