Too restrictive rules!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Too restrictive rules!

Post by TurtlePowered »

darin_mcgrew wrote:
darin_mcgrew wrote: Yes, I know you can cone the car body and get the same effect as coning the hub. And coning the hub is something a kid can do with adult supervision. But it's easier and cleaner to prohibit reshaping the wheels than to specify what kind of reshaping is acceptable and what kind of reshaping is prohibited.
If you do allow light sanding on the hub edge or coning then some people will really cone it and then the judges will have to determine what is lightly sanded and what is not.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

TurtlePowered wrote:If you do allow light sanding on the hub edge or coning then some people will really cone it and then the judges will have to determine what is lightly sanded and what is not.
I don't like the "lightly sanded" restriction: It specifies the process, not the results. How do you judge the process with certainty when all you can see is the results? And the vagueness of what "lightly" means makes the restriction worse.

With a rule that specifies results, all you have to decide is whether the specified criteria are met. It doesn't matter whether the specified criteria are general (e.g., no reshaping) or detailed (e.g., original tread pattern must be visible, minimum tread thickness of 1.2mm).
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

MathGuy wrote:It is best to have a written and agreed upon policy of rules enforcement. And discuss the enforcement posteur ahead of time so that it is known.
Just another side note: Our Pack chooses to NOT publish certain rules.

For example, the rule that allows a Scout to race an illegal car but not be allowed to win. Perhaps it's unwarranted, but our fear is that certain parents will intentionally build illegal cars if they know they'll get to race them anyway.

Another unwritten but agreed upon policy is that of allowing a boy who arrives after his Den has already raced to race with a different Den. They get to race but they can't win awards or advance to the Finals. Again, the fear is that parents, given the hectic pace of life in Northern Virginia, will take advantage of this rule. We don't mind being flexible, but we don't want a free-for-all, either.

Liked your post overall, MathGuy, very well stated.
Last edited by Cory on Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

darin_mcgrew wrote:I don't like the "lightly sanded" restriction: It specifies the process, not the results. How do you judge the process with certainty when all you can see is the results? And the vagueness of what "lightly" means makes the restriction worse.

With a rule that specifies results, all you have to decide is whether the specified criteria are met. It doesn't matter whether the specified criteria are general (e.g., no reshaping) or detailed (e.g., original tread pattern must be visible, minimum tread thickness of 1.2mm).
FWIW, I specify both processes and results in my rules.

I do use the terms "lightly sanded" and "polished" in my rules. The intention is to make sure that they know the appropriate processes with which they can try to "make the stock parts better", as you aptly put it.

I also explicitly prohibit beveling, coning, etc. or otherwise reshaping the axles and wheels. My thinking is that, by itself, this might make some conscientious parents believe that they aren't allowed to do anything.

Keep in mind that I have 75 to 100 racers to deal with, and I see about half of them for the first time on Race Day.
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

darin_mcgrew wrote:
TurtlePowered wrote:If you do allow light sanding on the hub edge or coning then some people will really cone it and then the judges will have to determine what is lightly sanded and what is not.
I don't like the "lightly sanded" restriction: It specifies the process, not the results. How do you judge the process with certainty when all you can see is the results? And the vagueness of what "lightly" means makes the restriction worse.

Amen to that! You need clearly defined guidelines and then follow them. If they are not followed there is no point to it at all.