Two Cars that Place 1st in the same Den?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Two Cars that Place 1st in the same Den?

Post by Scoremaker »

Okay all you pineheads out there.Here's something that might had happen to some Pack out there.If two cars place 1st in the same Den and have the same time how would you award these Scouts :?: I know what everyone would say let them race against each other to see who would get the top honor.But each time they race against one another they have the same time :?:
Alex
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Two Cars that Place 1st in the same Den?

Post by Alex »

simple solution, let the two cars that tied have a best 2out of three race or best 3 out of five racew to determine the ultimate winner, alternate tracks each time or let them chloose their track, if they choose the same track, its back to alternating tracks. The odds that in multiple races that they would continue to have a dead tie would astronomical. In the nearly impossibe event that were to occur, then keep racing till one had two consecutive wins. You must not be using an accurate timing device or judging by eye. It's so hard to believe that the two children would continually have a dead tie. Hope this helps. Alex's Dad
Hi, I live with my Dad in Louisiana. Dad says that God created me to serve Him by helping others. If you need my help just ask.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Scoremaker wrote:If two cars place 1st in the same Den and have the same time how would you award these Scouts :?: I know what everyone would say let them race against each other to see who would get the top honor.But each time they race against one another they have the same time :?:
Sounds like a tie to me...

We don't have a timer, so we break ties by racing the cars in the two closest lanes. (Our schedule software can tell us which two lanes are the closest, and it varies a bit from year to year, depending on how the track was set up.) We race them once, then swap the lanes and race them again. The car that wins both races wins the tie.

There have been a couple times where they each won one race, so we tried again in the next closest pair of lanes. But at that point, it was mostly for show. When they each won one race again, we declared a tie. But that's been a very rare event. And those races made us appreciate our electronic finish gate, because they were certainly too close to call by eye.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

If you think that the cars are much closer to equal than the lanes are, then declare it a tie. Award duplicate 1st place trophies. (then there is no 2nd place.)

Best plan I know to break the tie (as you might have to do in order to select one representative to another race), then pick the two most evenly matched lanes and race, alternating lanes, until one of the racers wins two consecutive races. Set some limit on the number of heats to run. If this doesn't resolve it, still award two 1st place trophies and have a formal coin flip for right to go on to the next races.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Scoremaker wrote:Okay all you pineheads out there.Here's something that might had happen to some Pack out there.If two cars place 1st in the same Den and have the same time how would you award these Scouts :?: I know what everyone would say let them race against each other to see who would get the top honor.But each time they race against one another they have the same time :?:
How many digits does your timing system record to?
If two cars are the same calculating to 1/10000 of a second they both deserve to win. To bad there isn't a easy way to extend the track another 8'.