Forum Suggestion: Subtopics, IPB upgrade

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
chesspupil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forum Suggestion: Subtopics, IPB upgrade

Post by chesspupil »

I have been a member of over a hundred forums in the past 10 years... most of which I not stayed active in.... I would say there are 5 that I visit weekly and 10 more that I visit bi-monthly and another 10 after that semi-annually.

I am curious if a sub forum topic of Car Construction has been considered:

Body design---> Weight and body shape

Axels ---> Polishing, shaping, rules, lube

Wheels ---> Polishing, shaping, rules

Also... a new members intro section... Rather than the general off topic area.

With the current board software being 2006, and I know there have been a great many improvements in search abilities in the last few IPB upgrades, 2.3.3 I believe is out. Cost prohibitive?
WikiWiki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Forum Suggestion: Subtopics, IPB upgrade

Post by WikiWiki »

Chess,

As another user on this board there are some merits to sub-dividing topic areas. However, this board has a core group of really experienced, and some expert folks, and others like me that fly in a couple of times a year when we get the pine bug. If you make too many sub-divisions, with a small number of posts, in my opinion limit the value of the board from a interactive perspective for new users.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

chesspupil wrote:I am curious if a sub forum topic of Car Construction has been considered:

Body design---> Weight and body shape

Axels ---> Polishing, shaping, rules, lube

Wheels ---> Polishing, shaping, rules
Is there really a need to split these topics apart? Are there that many people who would follow one of these forums, but not another? Or who would follow one or more of these forums, but not our current Car Construction forum?
chesspupil wrote:Also... a new members intro section... Rather than the general off topic area.
That might be useful. Another forum I follow has a "Getting Started" forum, and there is a sticky "New? Introduce yourself" thread in that forum.
chesspupil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by chesspupil »

under a new forum upgrade, searches would be easier IMO.

I have seen such work well elsewhere... it was just an idea....

Such as Videos.... subbed

Movies

Television

Music

Etc...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I find that the search option works very well.

I know what you are talking about, as I a member of many forums myself.

But I will say some of them do not have as good as a search engine as this one does.

So I don't really feel one is needed at this time. If they start having alot more daily visitors. Then I am sure then it will be looked more at.

Sincerely,

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I don't know about adding in more forums. I'm rather reluctant to do so. I personally don't like scrolling down pages more than I have to.

Version 3 of the phpBB software this site uses was recently released. I will look at upgrading the site to that in the off season.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Actually, one improvement I'd like to see...

The new WebRing code has an annoying marquee effect. If you still want to participate in the Pinewood Derby Racing WebRing, then maybe you could kill the marquee by deleting the JavaScript, and just using the non-JavaScript version currently in the noscript element.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:Actually, one improvement I'd like to see...

The new WebRing code has an annoying marquee effect. If you still want to participate in the Pinewood Derby Racing WebRing, then maybe you could kill the marquee by deleting the JavaScript, and just using the non-JavaScript version currently in the noscript element.
I agree, it is annoying. When I get the chance I'll kill it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.