Thanks to this forum!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Thanks to this forum!

Post by BlackLotus »

My son took first place and set a new track record this weekend, largely thanks to members of this forum. Our first foray into rail riding was a huge success! To make me ever prouder, he immediately asked if we could share the "secret tricks" we used on his car with others in his den so they could be faster next year.

There was a parent (den leader) who asked what I did to the car. I referred him to my son and listened intently as my 8 year old began to explain potential energy and why the car should be weighted toward the rear. That ended any talk of a post race inspection (even though the car would have passed with flying colors).

You guys are absolutely wonderful. Special thanks to the regular problem solvers like Stan, PWD Addict, WarpSpeed, and Sporty. You guys are invaluable! This place is like having our own pinewood derby think tank!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Thanks to this forum!

Post by sporty »

Congrats to you and your son !

Would enjoy some pictures from the race.

Sporty
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

Let see if these work.

The white #11 is ours.
Last edited by BlackLotus on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonJ
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by RonJ »

Congrats! That's wonderful!! I bet you're proud of your son and I'm sure he's convinced you're the best Dad in the world!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Sharp car I like I like !!

May I borrow that speed demon ? :lol: :lol:

Sporty
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

BL--that's wonderful news!!! Some great looking cars in your Pack as well. So, tell us . . . were you nervous as heck until you saw the time of your son's first race?

Each year I get the butterflies until I see my son's car's time that first race. I get even more nervous when I see some really fast cars go before his (he's a Bear and we go in rank order).

Tell your son the "experts" on DerbyTalk are very impressed and we're all very proud (especially that he's willing to share)!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

PWD_addict wrote:Tell your son the "experts" on DerbyTalk are very impressed and we're all very proud (especially that he's willing to share)!
Hear, hear!!!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

I can't agree more about how awesome this site is! I refer everyone to it... even if they don't race I tell them they should.
I am a mentor to many by profession and you are doing exactly what I train other mentors to do... the fact that your son knows the reasons "why" you did what you did to make your car fast shows that you are using each step as a learning experience instead of just doing it for him, or just telling him what to do and not explaining it. We must see every opportunity as a learning/training experience to develop experienced leader of any age.
Great job at parenting and derby-ing!
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

PWD_addict - I'm almost embarrassed to say I did have some nerves waiting for the first run. He worked so hard and we hadn't tried a RR before, I just was worried it would hit the rail, slow to a crawl and not finish, all because I messed up the alignment on the car.

As the car hit the curve it was ahead a little and seemed to turn on a rocket. I looked at the time after it finished and knew there was something special, at least for our little pack. Most of the well made cars run in the high 2.6's. I had only seen one car, last year, break the 2.6 mark and that was only on one run of 6, and they announced it as a track record. My son's first time was 2.584 on the display. He started jumping around, big old goofy grin on his face. I knew I could relax.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

BlackLotus wrote:PWD_addict - I'm almost embarrassed to say I did have some nerves waiting for the first run. He worked so hard and we hadn't tried a RR before, I just was worried it would hit the rail, slow to a crawl and not finish, all because I messed up the alignment on the car.

As the car hit the curve it was ahead a little and seemed to turn on a rocket. I looked at the time after it finished and knew there was something special, at least for our little pack. Most of the well made cars run in the high 2.6's. I had only seen one car, last year, break the 2.6 mark and that was only on one run of 6, and they announced it as a track record. My son's first time was 2.584 on the display. He started jumping around, big old goofy grin on his face. I knew I could relax.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's priceless. I love that feeling.
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

BlackLotus wrote: To make me ever prouder, he immediately asked if we could share the "secret tricks" we used on his car with others in his den so they could be faster next year.

There was a parent (den leader) who asked what I did to the car. I referred him to my son and listened intently as my 8 year old began to explain potential energy and why the car should be weighted toward the rear.
That's what it's all about!!! :wink:

Great Job!!! :clap:
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!