Wotamalo District Derby - Summary Observations

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Wotamalo District Derby - Summary Observations

Post by Stan Pope »

Wotamalo District Derby Day has come and gone ... another 14 hour day, not to mention an almost sleepless night before.

About 350 scouts were registered. A small handfull entered only one of the two design events, but most were entered for racing, and some of those brought second (and third) cars to compete in design events.

Adults from 5 of our district's packs accepted the challenge to run one of the grade tracks. ExtremePWD was among these intrepid people, undertaking his first forey into the world of leading a no-chart, quintuple elimination event for our district. Thanks, Bill! Another first-timer led the Bear track. Returning volunteers chaired the Tiger, Wolf, and Webelos I tracks.

In the end, the boys did a lot of racing. Most (about 88%) registered at least one heat win against two other cars in this prestigious event. The five trophy winners in each age group were pretty convincing!

The race of champions brought the winner from each age-group track together. These five cars put on an incredible show for us. Aside from the close races, the aspect that really impressed me was the care with which these five youngsters (first through fifth grade youngsters) staged their cars for each heat. They didn't take a lot of time to do it, but each carefully aligned the car and set the wheels to prepare for the hoped-for win.

When the young boys were finished racing and were carrying home their race and show trophies, ten big boys (and girls) brought out their cars. The cars followed the size and weight, etc. limits as for the boy's cars, but wheel and axle "rules" allowed a lot of creativity. ExtremePWD took home the trophy, barely, in this event, running on ... well, I should let him describe the wheels. Aside from being very fast, I thought that the wheels might look very good as coat buttons! :)

One car, built in the competitor's youth and brought to show in the Classic Car's division, was accepted for racing by the group. It still looked good going down the track, but had a hard time standing up to the level of the competition.
Last edited by Stan Pope on Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wotamalo District Derby - Summary Observations

Post by ExtremePWD »

I had no idea what I was getting into when Stan called me late one night to run one of the district races. I had observed from previous years but this was the first time on the front line. With about 15 other volunteers, who had never done it either and most pulled from the stands right before the race, we ran approximately 193 races with 67 boys and averaged under 40 seconds per round. The process has been developed over the years and well documented which allowed such a green crew with training in the minutes before the race to run a successful race.

We finished the race in time for me to watch my first year scout take top honors in his age group. The grand champions race was very exciting and close and he ended up second overall. This may be his first official scout year racing but he has been building and racing cars for at least three years in other arenas.

The "coat button" wheels were heavily modified BSA wheels for low inertia. The tread was thinned and narrowed, the sidewalls were narrowed and ventilated with holes. The calculations say the sidewall holes are more for looks than inertia reduction. My daughter won the district open class at a neighboring district the same day using similar wheels. After my open class race, Stan "inspired" me to kick it up another notch. I'll be back!

Our district is very fortunate to have Stan and many others who put a lot of time into making our district race a quality event. The attention to details make it run efficiently while maintaining fun and fairness. The scout participation is great as well as the volunteer support that keeps the wheels rolling. Thanks Stan for coordinating such a fine event.
Sparky
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sparky »

Congratulations! Must feel good. We have to wait until May!

On the wheels, did you remove tread from the outside in or inside out?

What would you say are the keys to speed for your car (besides reduced moment of inertia on the wheels)?

Also, can you post pics? It would be cool to see the winning car.

Thanks in advance - and congratulations again!
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

I removed the tread from the inside. Besides reducing the inertia there were not any speed secrets that haven't been discussed/debated in the forum. Good axle polishing, inner hub treatment, wheel bore burnishing, body interface friction, CG to the back and low. Not any real rocket science applied this time.

I'll have to work on a picture. Can somebody guide me on the best resolution and file type to paste in a post? Thanks
Alex
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Alex »

[quote="ExtremePWD"]I removed the tread from the inside. Besides reducing the inertia there were not any speed secrets that haven't been discussed/debated in the forum. Good axle polishing, inner hub treatment, wheel bore burnishing, body interface friction.

Congraduations ExtremePWD. I have a couple of questions though. Did you mean you removed the tread on the inside of the outer wheel? What inner hub did you do beside the burnishing you mentioned. And what does body interface friction mean? Thank you. Alex
Hi, I live with my Dad in Louisiana. Dad says that God created me to serve Him by helping others. If you need my help just ask.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Congraduations ExtremePWD. I have a couple of questions though. Did you mean you removed the tread on the inside of the outer wheel? What inner hub did you do beside the burnishing you mentioned. And what does body interface friction mean? Thank you. Alex[/quote]

When I said tread I was referencing the cylindrical outer portion of the wheel. I removed the material from the inside part of the cylinder first. The body interface friction is where the hub rubs on the body.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

ExtremePWD wrote:I'll have to work on a picture. Can somebody guide me on the best resolution and file type to paste in a post? Thanks
72 to 90 PPI jpegs with medium compression and width around 400 to 500 pixels seem to work well on most of our screens. Much wider and the text must be read with the horizontal scroll bar, and that's a pain.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

ExtremePWD wrote:I removed the tread from the inside. Besides reducing the inertia there were not any speed secrets that haven't been discussed/debated in the forum. Good axle polishing, inner hub treatment, wheel bore burnishing, body interface friction, CG to the back and low. Not any real rocket science applied this time.

I'll have to work on a picture. Can somebody guide me on the best resolution and file type to paste in a post? Thanks
Congradulations!