Pinewood Derby App

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
timtrain35
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pinewood Derby App

Post by timtrain35 »

Just stumbled across an app in iTunes called Pinewood Derby Handbook. I haven;\'t had a chance to really look at it yet, but hey, it's only a buck. FYI.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby App

Post by FatSebastian »

timtrain35 wrote:Just stumbled across an app in iTunes called Pinewood Derby Handbook.
Finally - just the excuse I need to get an iPhone! :) timtrain35, assuming that you actually purchased the app, might you post a review as soon as you get the chance? :eager:
timtrain35
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by timtrain35 »

... or an iPad :D . Anyway, it's not so much an app as it is an e-book. It's pretty basic and generic. It goes into a little bit of everything from body design, cutting out the design, sanding, finishing, etc. It also goes into wheel and axle prep a little bit. However, it's always from the standpoint that friction is your enemy. Needless to say, there's no talk about rail riding.

All in all, for a beginner, it's not bad, especially for $.99 and 2 clicks away. That's my review and I'm sticking to it.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

timtrain35 wrote:... or an iPad :D . Anyway, it's not so much an app as it is an e-book. It's pretty basic and generic. It goes into a little bit of everything from body design, cutting out the design, sanding, finishing, etc. It also goes into wheel and axle prep a little bit. However, it's always from the standpoint that friction is your enemy. Needless to say, there's no talk about rail riding.

All in all, for a beginner, it's not bad, especially for $.99 and 2 clicks away. That's my review and I'm sticking to it.
This should be a safe review thereby avoiding a PM from the DT police :)

K
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

timtrain35 wrote:That's my review and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks, timtrain. FWIW, there's a little bit of info here, including a few screenshots and some info about the developer and his other ebook offerings (none of which are PWD related).

Anytime I stumble across a tips book(let), I am curious if it includes advice that might offer no benefit - or worse, does more harm that good. Screenshot #2 notes "The wheels that come in pinewood derby racer kits are notoriously coarse..." Not sure what means, but it might suggest that the author might be unaware of 2009 wheels and the book may already be out of date? To his credit, the developer seems to know how to spell words like "axle"; there are some tips booklets (some of which I paid money for!) which I never gave to my sons because the spelling and/or grammar was so poor.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I wouldn't be surprised to see more of those tip booklets showing up as downloadable eBooks, with the growing popularity of Kindle, iPad and other devices.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
timtrain35
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by timtrain35 »

FatSebastian wrote:
Anytime I stumble across a tips book(let), I am curious if it includes advice that might offer no benefit - or worse, does more harm that good.
Yeah, there's definitely some things in there that made me raise an eyebrow. The page right after that screen shot goes into detail about polishing the wheel tread. The summary of this procedure is to insert a nail through the bore of the wheel and then place the nail in a drill to act as a lathe. Another section of the book basically instructs you to keep the wheels off of the center rail in the name of reducing friction.

However, there's a lot to like as well. The Preface is a good intro and history about PWD and scouts. Chapter 1 is about planning and designing and is very well thought out. I also like that the author keeps driving the point home to involve the child as much as possible and to get as many of their ideas into the car as possible. the focus is always steered toward the fact that this is the child's car and the point of the project is to do something together. Winning is nice, but isn't everything.

OK, now that's my review and I'm sticking to it :mrgreen: .
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

timtrain35 wrote:Winning is nice, but isn't everything.
Tell that to my son! :lol:
timtrain35 wrote:OK, now that's my review and I'm sticking to it :mrgreen: .
Thanks for the added details, timtrain. :thumbup: Unfortunately your reviews aren't convincing me to spring for the iPhone and iPad (yet)! :/