Pinewood derby, pack committees

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Pinewood derby, pack committees

Post by sporty »

K,

Since I thought it was much better to start this toic, then muck up another post.

What we all tend to forget, is at the scout level, local pack level, many packs, view this as one more event on the calender.

They have trouble getting volunteers or people who want to be on the committee or help run it. Just getting enough people is a challend got allot packs.

Your committee is as good as the people who want to help and the time they want to put into the event. Along with there own ideas, views and thoughts about how the race shoudl be run, what should be allowed and what it's all about.

In my 11 years now, I have seen a wide range of people, on these committees or who help out or run the event, ect. Leaders aswell.

Some come in, with a open mind, some do not. Some are anti going fast and soem are for the kids and some are for there own agendas for the event.

Often, many of them lack a clear understanding of the rules, the process and the basics of how th even assemble or build a pinewood derby car. I have even seen it be about beating someone else. A ugly compitition that can really get out of control.

I have parents, who say we cant beat you, why try and they just dont care then because of that. totally loosing allo of what this is about.

I offer every year for anyone and everyone to come over, i'll teach them and show them and even do workshops. Many never come or show up. The first time I see them is on race day.

This year I did a 22 page color booklet, I was pleased with it, I put in allot of time and detail into it. I handed out over 100 of them. But hard to say if they read them, used any of the info.

Sporty
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pinewood derby, pack committees

Post by dna1990 »

I am with ya. This is my last year as chairman, and have been wondering what the program will be like next year and even further down the road. I have been editing our docs, but there are still lots of things not yet written. I admit I am hesitant to take the time to format it all out, if it goes un-used or worse yet un-read.

I am OK to a certain degree of people taking ownership and 'making it their own'. In fact I mentioned in the other post, I think that is part of Cub Scouts, is for adult leaders to learn too. I have a slide in a presentation I do for a Council Training day, that says not to get caught up in the whole 'becuase that is the way we always do it'. Change is often good, not always the change itself but the process of changing. But the next bullet on that slide says in contrast, but don't ignore the 'wisdom' that may have gone into that process, rule, or setup - becuase there very well may be a good reason that is 'why' they do it that way all these years.

New PWD folks often see rules like that. "Why do we need a rule that says use the kit?". They have the kit in their hand and they are anxious to carve it into a car. Not knowing that buying a professionally made car is an 'option' and the rule was created many committees ago when little Bobby got beat by Johnny and his dad-bought fancy CNC car.

I think the main thing is the 'one day event' attitude. I admit, there are some scout or school functions that interest neither me or my son. If I was somehow voluntold to lead one of those events, it would be a shoddy event. But that is the goal of a good pack committee and leadership, is to find the correct individual for each event and have them be a good champion for its cause. True that some packs suffer from 'the PWD guy'. Everybody else is either intimidated they could never equal that person's role, or they are resentful, perhap jealous of how much work you put into it. Dunno. I think every group has these issues.

As you mentioned, the danger comes from the pendulum. It is natural (for any group, politics included) to 'react' to a previous leadership by changing all the things 'that new leadership' didn't like. But then the next changover is a little more change in scope, then more and more. Pretty soon, each change in committee are these wild 180 degree swings in 'what is PWD all about'. Everyone solely wants to conquer the one thing that made their poor Bobby feel bad last year.

So hats off to all us folks. The folks who are interested enough in the mechanics but also the root cause of youngster programs like PWD. One of the values of PWD is that it is NOT a one day thing. In today's world if we need PWD to 'force' a parent and child to spend more time together, I am for it. You can't equate the time spent in the ChickFilA drivethru to time spent in the garage, covered in sawdust, graphite, and some gray primer on your 'good jeans'.

Go Sporty. Go America. Go Competition and Creativity. We might just make it out of this thing after all.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:Your committee is as good as the people who want to help and the time they want to put into the event. Along with there own ideas, views and thoughts about how the race shoudl be run, what should be allowed and what it's all about.
Several units around our area now hire a professional trackmaster to run their races, and it has turned out to be rewarding for all concerned. The fee is very reasonable (there a charge per car of a few dollars with an additional smallish overhead fee). This turns out to be a very efficient and enjoyable way to conduct derbies for the participants as well as the Pack committees: no track ownership or storage, no (re)training of new derby leaders, no lost software CDs or licenses to keep up with, etc. The trackmaster fees are easily offset by the sales of concessions at the derby itself. Most importantly, it tends to provide a continuity of high-quality experience year after year for the kids, no matter who happens to be on the Pack Committee.

I mention this because there are a lot of really enthusiastic Pineheads on this forum who have their own tracks, timing systems, etc., and who could make a small business out of such an effort (or do it with your Boy Scout toward his Entrepreneur badge). The target market would be those local units who see the derby as just "one more event on the calendar." It could be a win-win situation: you get a little extra cash in your pocket in a slow-moving economy to pay for your tungsten addiction, and area units receive the benefit of your years' of derby experience "done right."
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I mentioned this years ago. But I thikn why no remention it. It might give site to newer members and a little about how this upscale racing got to us.

It was my eldests son 2nd and 3rd year racing.

We saw a leaders grandschild in the pack, seen some things that were were not right, on race day. We lewt it go by and did nto think anything about it.

Then things happened there were so obvious to people watching the race, we took a stand. this was like 6 years ago.

My son was winning and doing well, next thing he is doing extra races, cars he already beat, two times, (this was a double elim race).

It was so obvious after the 3rd time. 9 extra runs at this point. So we started taping it on the camcorder and my dad took it to them and asked them to see it and was wanting to know what was going on or if there was some mistake.

Wow, you should have seen the attitude and behavior of this person. Did want to watch the tape, did not want to listen to the 5 people there addressing the same issue, People I did not know, seeing the same thing addressiing it.

It was so obvious you knew it was deliberate. So my son got 3rd and a few months later, I said I am gonna find someone who has a track and ask to bower it or use it.

I said I am not going to make it easy for them to do this anymore,. we will just work harder and longer at it and get better, Fast enough to get past that type of racing.

Thats how it all begin for us, the motivation of wrong doing lead to us having a track and timer and ect over the years and building lots of cars and learning. which we are still doing.

Now as time has went on and we are now very fast and hard to beat. We now have the target of cheating or being crzy to the sport.

I have tried to teach my kids. You may not be the smartest, but work the hardest and see the rewards gained from it. And thats also why i share so much here and in person. I do not believe in secrets, we share everything and help people be as fast as we are.

Sporty
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Our Pack never took the PWD seriously, it was just another Pack meeting so no effort was ever put into it. Our Cub Master always said at the Pack Committee meeting, "This is our PWD Committee", but they only person that did any planning was me. I was PWD Chairman for the last 4 years before "retiring". I put a lot of time into creating documents that most people never looked at, and had at least 4 Saturdays of PWD Workshops in my garage. There were always a couple of cars that were obviously illegal and they claimed ignorance. This year they've asked for my documents and the only other planning will be to make sure someone has a laptop with the race software on it.