Tools?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tools?

Post by KiaTia »

Ok guys what tools should I buy to help set up my car. I am talking about items like the wheel shaver, wheel balancer, wheel & axle prep kits ect... Our rules are using stock wheels and block with slots.

HELP!
Last edited by KiaTia on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tools?

Post by FatSebastian »

KiaTia wrote:which ones are just a waste of money? I am talking about items like the wheel shaver, wheel balancer ect...
:rules: A wheel balancer will be a "waste of money" if you are not allowed to change the mass of the wheels, and a wheel shaver is a "waste of money" if you are not allowed to have "lathed" or "machined" tread surfaces.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

I use a Dremel more than any other single tool in my workshop - you can sand, shape, smooth, drill, cut.....

I use it with the Wheel tool that holds your wheel for polishing, and I chuck my axles in it to file and polish them as well...

They sell a workbench holder as well that helps to keep it in place and emulates a drill press

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

KiaTia wrote:Ok guys what tool should I buy and which ones are just a waste of money?
No one here should be bashing anyone's tools and saying that they are a waste of money. We've had too much of that in the past on this forum. If you have a question on a specific tool, then ask away; otherwise, if you are fishing for negative feedback on products you might want to check some other forum.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KiaTia »

gpraceman wrote:
KiaTia wrote:Ok guys what tool should I buy and which ones are just a waste of money?
No one here should be bashing anyone's tools and saying that they are a waste of money. We've had too much of that in the past on this forum. If you have a question on a specific tool, then ask away; otherwise, if you are fishing for negative feedback on products you might want to check some other forum.
You are right I think I worded my question wrong I did not mean to discredit anyones tools I have changed my question. I just need lots of help.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

KiaTia wrote:I just need lots of help.
KT, you might look at this related topic for starters. The archives are an excellent resource for newcomers. I might suggest that you try to use the DT search engine to your advantage, then follow up with more direct questions about specific tools based on the outcome of your research.

What tools to recommend will be governed by your operating environment and budget, including what shop tools you might already have and your racing rules. For example, as I mentioned earlier, use of a wheel shaver is more often than not illegal in BSA races (assuming that you are talking about Cub Scout races).
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

With what you are saying.

Stock slots, stock wheel base. Not much can be done with the wheels.

Then I would focus on tungsten weight. good axle prep supplies and bore prep improvement area/ supplies.

If you can RR, then there are tools there that might suite your needs.

Sporty
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

From a personal standpoint, the ONE tool I would never want to do without again, are the axle pliers from Max V! (an unsolicited, unpaid endorsement!) They make tweaking the tuning a breeze! I think 6-10 dads from our last derby are ordering them after using mine!

3 Cub Dad
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I'll add my .02.
Axle pliers are VERY popular at the alignment and tuning table. I used them everytime I adjust/pull/push an axle.
My Dremel always gets a workout on a car build.
Take a look at your budget and your typical rules for your area. Some tools help you do things that are NOT allowed.

Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

3 Cub Dad wrote:From a personal standpoint, the ONE tool I would never want to do without again, are the axle pliers from Max V! (an unsolicited, unpaid endorsement!) They make tweaking the tuning a breeze!
Ditto. I ordered them last year, it makes tuning a car very easy.

John
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

I was new at this stuff a few years back also. I will say one of the first things I realized I needed was a postal scale. I realized very quickly that I would have to get my own scale. It was very time consuming to keep taking the car somewhere to get it weighed. I was able to find one at walmart for about 20 bucks. Another tool I use every year is a palm sander. Makes the sanding part much quicker and the boys don't get bored with the sanding of the block that way.
sirslotalot1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by sirslotalot1 »

Kinda getting hooked on all this, so here is a progression of tool purchases. I had many hand tools already just because I'm a hobby kind of guy. So before my first derby race last year I purchased:
1. Wheel Mandrel.
2. Plastic Tech Tool, you can check measurments on the car
3. Scale
That was it. I just shoved the axles into the slots and figured that was good enough. It wasn't. The car never made it to thefinish line. Very embarrassed.

We just had our PWD race last weekend, but I have been working on getting the tools, getting the information since late October. So since then I have purchased:

1. Pro Body Tool II
2. Axle Pliers
3. Pro Body Jig
4. Pin Vise
5. Pro Wheel Shaver
6. Pro Axle straightner with the extra tool to bend the axles
7. Pro Axle Installer
8. 4" Machinist square
9. Carbide drill bits, numbers #43 and #44
10. COM (center of mass) tool to see where the balancing point is on the car
11. Hobby file set
12. Incra Rule, has slots and holes where all the measuring increments are.
13. Mechanical Pencils
14. Pro Hub Shaver
15. Disc/Belt Sander 4" x 36"
16. Band Saw
17. Drill Press, Delta DP300L

Also 2 or 3 wheel bore and axle polishing systems.
Bunches of sand papar and micro mesh sand papar.
Different Graphite
Lots a help from Sporty

Results=1st in Den, 1st in Pack

Unfortunetly, our council does not have District Races, so before next January's race I WILL be getting a lathe and a test track.

Hope this doesn't sound to overwelming, but as you do more and more research, you discover what needs to be done and the tools necessary to get it done the correct way.
KiaTia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by KiaTia »

Wow nice list sirslotalot1 what test track are you thinking about?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

sirslotalot1 wrote:Kinda getting hooked on all this, so here is a progression of tool purchases. I had many hand tools already just because I'm a hobby kind of guy.
"... because I'm a hobby kind of guy". Considering the list of tools, I'd say that is an understatement! Y'er a real bona fide "tool head!" The "pinewood derby bug" has infected you big time. Isn't it great? :)

In your list of tools, there appears to be substantial functional redundancy. Now, after using the list for a year, would you change your mind on any of the tools? For instance are there tools for which you can say, "Tool Y does everything and more than Tool X. In retrospect, I would have jumped directly to Tool Y and skipped Tool X."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sirslotalot1 wrote:10. COM (center of mass) tool to see where the balancing point is on the car
In addition to KiaTia's and Stan's questions, I would like to ask about your CoM tool. Is this something homemade or purchased, and how does it work?

We mounted a fulcrum and a ruler on a piece of wood for measuring CoM location by balancing the car, but we eventually found it too inconvenient and inaccurate. Now we use two identical scales to gauge the amount of weight on the front and rear wheels separately, and use this formula to accurately compute the CoM:

(CoM from Rear Axle) = (Front Wheel Weight) x (Wheelbase) / (Total Weight)

(If you only have one scale, here's a suggestion on how to get around that.)