Pipe Cleaner Size

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Ynot
Pine Head
Pine Head

Pipe Cleaner Size

Post by Ynot »

I read somewhere to get real pipe cleaners from a smoke shop (not the fake ones that'll scratch the bore) and to make sure they're the correct size for the newer BSA wheels. I can't recall what size that was recommended. I found lots of threads here that mentioned using a pipe cleaner, yet not the size. Anybody?

Thanks
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pipe Cleaner Size

Post by *5 J's* »

Ynot wrote:I read somewhere to get real pipe cleaners from a smoke shop (not the fake ones that'll scratch the bore) and to make sure they're the correct size for the newer BSA wheels. I can't recall what size that was recommended. I found lots of threads here that mentioned using a pipe cleaner, yet not the size. Anybody?

Thanks
\
The one's I get from Max-V seem the fluffiest and they have a diameter of approx 1/4".
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Ynot wrote:I found lots of threads here that mentioned using a pipe cleaner, yet not the size.
The question has been asked before, but aside from "fluffy" and/or "extra fluffy" I do not recall having seen precise dimensions. However, I believe that Long's Extra Absorbent sold in the bundle of 36 provides the recommended nap...
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:
Ynot wrote:I found lots of threads here that mentioned using a pipe cleaner, yet not the size.
The question has been asked before, but aside from "fluffy" and/or "extra fluffy" I do not recall having seen precise dimensions. However, I believe that Long's Extra Absorbent sold in the bundle of 36 provides the recommended nap...
Excellent price - I think I'll have to check these out. Other have reccomened Dunhill's tapered pipe cleaners but I can only find these from UK distributors.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:Excellent price - I think I'll have to check these out.
We have found Long's to be available at local tobacco shops. It's been a while since we last purchased so I cannot remember the exact price we paid, but I thought it less than $1 / bundle. (They are, after all, just pipe cleaners.)
*5 J's* wrote:Other have reccomened Dunhill's tapered pipe cleaners but I can only find these from UK distributors.
Anyone who specially imports pipe cleaners for wheel bore treatment is really into PWD! :lol:
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:Anyone who specially imports pipe cleaners for wheel bore treatment is really into PWD! :lol:
I think you can get them on ebay - but you likely will pay a premium as they are imported. Our local "smoke shop" doesn't stock any premium pipecleaners so I have ordered pipecleaners from each Pinewood vendor when I plaec an order. So far Max-V has the best over four other vendors.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I used BJ longs, extra fluffy and extra absorbant off of e-bay.

I have like 5 bundles of them.

I got them bulk. e-bay.

this is kind of like mine, does not say extra fluffy though,

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-BJ-LONG-12-INCH- ... 56422bddba" target="_blank
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:polling:(?) Are pipe cleaner better to use for wheel bore prep.
Then useing the shaft of a cotton swab with the size of a #37 .104 to a #36 .106 decimal equivalents.
Any thoughts.

:idk: just thought i'd ask the?.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:I used BJ longs, extra fluffy and extra absorbant off of e-bay ... does not say extra fluffy though
FWIW, the UPC on the Long's "Extra Fluffy" is 491260000365; however, this turns out to be a dummy UPC. I affirm Sporty's observation that the labels may say "Extra Absorbent" but not "Extra Fluffy", but one can tell by the reduced count (three dozen instead of five dozen). Long's cleaners are also distributed under the name "Tom & Jerry".

Ynot
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ynot »

My wife picked up some that are the Tom and Jerry's. They do not say extra anything. I'm concerned because that have these plastic reddish things sticking out thoughout the entire cleaner that, I would imagine, could scratch the inner hub. They also have a wire core. Are these what I want? They don't seem very soft at all.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Ynot wrote:I'm concerned because that have these plastic reddish things sticking out thoughout the entire cleaner...
:/ Sounds like you are describing bristle pipe cleaners, aka "brush" cleaners. The bristles will certainly scratch wheel bores - Avoid!

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

The pipe cleaners with heavy nap ("extra fluffy") usually come wrapped in a pink label when sold under the name B.J. Long's, and are sometimes advertised as JUMBO.