Finishing weight gain?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
46u

Finishing weight gain?

Post by 46u »

I know there are many variables to this question but does any one have an idea of how much weight is added in sealing sanding and painting. I am thinking at least coats counting primer, paint and clear.
Thanks
Jeff
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Finishing weight gain?

Post by Darin McGrew »

At our workshops, we add molten weight before the kids paint their cars. We try to leave about 7-8g (about 1/4oz) before painting, expecting some of the kids to add a small trim weight before weight-in, but trying to avoid needing to drill out any weight.

I've added as much as an ounce of paint to some of my cars, but those were exceptions to the rule.
46u

Post by 46u »

I will weight it with wheels and axles before we put the clear on.
Thanks
Jeff
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

46u wrote:does any one have an idea of how much weight is added in sealing sanding and painting
This duplicate topic may help (which also points to at least two other topics). There is also some discussion of paint weight budget in this recent topic.
Darin McGrew wrote:We try to leave about 7-8g (about 1/4oz) before painting
1/4-ounce sounds about right.
46u

Post by 46u »

After going through the spray paint I have I am going to be using sealer primer, then a bonding primer, then a base, then top coat and then clear so I am thinking I need to leave around 10 grams light.

I will start trying the search but I am on about 15 different forums and so far I have not found one with a good search function.
Thanks
Jeff
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

10 grams, naw I bet you will need 17 to 20 grams.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I generally leave 0.2 to 0.25 oz for primer (2-3 coats), paint (3-4 coats) and clear (3-4 coats). I would rather use tungsten putty to sneak up to 5 oz. rather than a drill to sneak down.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

We've always done just fine with leaving .2 oz. before paint. Even after three coats of primer, six of color and three of clear, we're usually still under 5 oz. A neat trick I saw at a workshop was they put a quarter on the scale when weighing everything to compensate for the paint. Then they added the lead/tungsten until the scale hit 5 oz.

Paul
RRS73
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by RRS73 »

We had one coat of primer, one coat of paint, and one clear coat. All were Testor's One Coat lacquer. Total weight added was only 0.1 oz.
jgedmin81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jgedmin81 »

I set up pre-paint weight to 4.9oz. Only 2-3 coats of color and an electrical tape racing stripe put both cars this year right at 5.0oz.