Pinewood Derby Car Carrying Case by Revell

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
46u

Pinewood Derby Car Carrying Case by Revell

Post by 46u »

Any one have one of these and to they do a good job of protecting the car? I sure would like to see the inside of one.
Thanks
Jeff
46u

Re: Pinewood Derby Car Carrying Case by Revell

Post by 46u »

Most not be anyone here that has any experience with one of these. I can get one new shipped for about $9 so I might give one a try.
Thanks
Jeff
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

You might wait a few days... it's possible that some folks only come to the board occasionally rather than every day. Or every hour. ;)
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

I remember seeing them in the store several years ago, but we are rarely only transporting one car, so it wasn't that interesting to me. Try looking on eBay, not just for cheaper prices, but for more photos of what they look like on the inside.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

46u wrote:Must not be anyone here that has any experience with one of these.
Perhaps many feel it to be an unnecessary option? Many opt for a shoebox with some kind of lining (towel, bubble wrap, etc.), but some other ideas can be found in this thread.

If you get one, a review would be appreciated. It's not obvious how this item is functionally different from a insulated double-compartment, soft-shell lunchbox (which might be had a bit cheaper).
ciodude wrote:we are rarely only transporting one car
Us too! However, each child carries his own.
46u

Post by 46u »

Thanks all I mainly just want to keep this thread near the top so when others do come here they are more likely to see it. I was hoping someone here has one and could post pictures of it opened up. Yes If I get one I will do a review but it might be a while.
Thanks
Jeff
46u

Post by 46u »

I went ahead and ordered one and will post a review here once I get it and check it out.
Thanks
Jeff
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

What I did was cut a flap in a 2 liter bottle an filled with bags. I wrap the car with another bag and insert into the bottle.
46u

Post by 46u »

I received my pinewood derby case today. It seems to be made well but not overly pleased with it. It has a small zipper compartment to put things in. The only thing I do not like there is not any way to secure the car and keep if from flopping all around. I all so do not like to store or carry my cars with them sitting on the wheels. I think I can get some foam rubber and make something.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

The 2-liter bottle with soft rags is a GREAT idea.
Put your tools in a separate container.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

46u wrote:It seems to be made well but not overly pleased with it.
Thanks for the review!
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

We actually found a pretty easy (and fairly cheap) option for my kids' cars for transport. I had a poker chip case that was very cheap (but made to look like a strong metal briefcase). For 2 cars, it worked awesome because the slots for the chips actually cupped around the wheels, and held them perfectly in place. Once we wanted to carry more, I pulled the poker chip lining out and just stapled in some foam padding from a computer box.

It always looks cool to have the kids walk up with the case that looks like it should have money in it and open it up and have 4 cars in it, nice and secure.
J.Stein
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by J.Stein »

Here is what we've done:

Shoebox. Cut a piece of packing foam that fits the bottom. Use any of the types of rigid foam that's now found in any shipment of electronics like TV's, Computers, even your appliances. Cut a slim piece that fits under the car but does not touch the wheels so as to slightly "suspend" the car by its body over the bottom layer of foam. Put two more pieces of the foam on either side of the car to secure it so it doesn't fall off its perch/stand. Nothing is touching the wheels or putting stress on the axles. We just used packing tape to secure the three vertical foam pieces.

There's room in the box for a ziploc of small extra weights, your gap guage, axle puller, and your emergency glue.
(You can keep your tool box, cordless drill, dremel, and your 18 gal. crate of extra parts and specialty tools in your trunk outside :mrgreen: )

Then your son can decorate the outside of his box. That's what my son and I did and the other kids thought it was cool. I'd do this as a Den Activity if we weren't always so pressed for time.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

J.Stein wrote:Here is what we've done:

Shoebox. Cut a piece of packing foam that fits the bottom. Use any of the types of rigid foam that's now found in any shipment of electronics like TV's, Computers, even your appliances. Cut a slim piece that fits under the car but does not touch the wheels so as to slightly "suspend" the car by its body over the bottom layer of foam. Put two more pieces of the foam on either side of the car to secure it so it doesn't fall off its perch/stand. Nothing is touching the wheels or putting stress on the axles. We just used packing tape to secure the three vertical foam pieces
Great plan - any small box works fine - they sell plastic "shoebox" totes for under $1.00. Get some rigid packing foam and cut as outlined above so the weight is off the wheels and axles - this will minimize the chances of messing up alignment or bending axles. I would add that I like to place the car in a ziplock baggy as well to prevent any contaminants from getting into the wheel bore, and I prefer to keep any supplies in a different box just to be safe.

For the Pack winners each year - I purchase small plastic tool boxes for a few dollars a piece and put the scouts car under the plastic tray in the tool box and they can put any supplies in the tray. I then use a label maker to put the scouts name on their toolbox. This makes a nice carrying case for the scouts to use when going to district :D
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

The pink foam insulation from Home depot works well except for the large quanity. One sheet is enough for an entire pack perhaps... You have to leave room so the wheels do not touch and tape it down with blue painters tape. Foam should also fit box.
W Racing!!!!