Big win at districts!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Big win at districts!

Post by Aron »

Stan I was just looking back through this post and just thought I would mention that I was running the starting gate threw out many of the races, and from what I observed many of the kids were racing quite a bit less often than every 5 minutes. In some cases they would even race in back to back races. :thumbup:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Aron wrote:Stan I was just looking back through this post and just thought I would mention that I was running the starting gate threw out many of the races, and from what I observed many of the kids were racing quite a bit less often than every 5 minutes. In some cases they would even race in back to back races. :thumbup:
Do you really mean "less often" as in "less frequently"? Context indicates they were running intervals of less than 5 minutes, which I think would be "more often."

One of the results that I did not expect was that the different heats/min averages for the various tracks would thin out some so quickly and pile up on others so quickly. I expected some of that, but not nearly as much as we had. I gave Sam a spreadsheet process to run at regular intervals which would instruct how to temporarily alter the disposition of the #2 racer track by track to balance the line loads. I'd also like to alter temporarily how some of the tracks (including mine) operate. The tracks with a reset button at the finish line ran faster rates than those which reset the finish by closing the start gate! I can wire some old phone cords (I think) to push button switches to handle that problem! :) I'll test it on my own track, then start duplicating them.

Sam reports good feeedback from the participants/parents. Part certainly due to the more heats/less time aspect and probably due (from the parents) to better adherence to the published schedule. Some of the Scouts got more racing than others, but only marginally more ... I felt like the breakdown between everybody racing and finalists racing gave the majority of the racers a good experience.

My own take was big positive. One reason is that I think we had more packs bringing tracks! Greater sense of ownership of the event!

Make sure that Sam gets your list of what worked well and what needs to be improved!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Oops I did put that in the wrong context :paperbag: Good idea on the push button switches :thumbup: I think some of the back up also came from the persons running the tracks. For sure a big :thumbup: overall! The only thing I noticed was that it was a bit hard to follow along as a spectator (which I was during weeblos2). That was early in the day though and I think the MC began to get better at explaining it to the parents as the day went along.