Newbie and advice needed.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Johnscooling
Journeyman
Journeyman

Newbie and advice needed.

Post by Johnscooling »

Here are the rules. I'm thinking a 3 wheel rail rider for my boys. Is that fair?

1-must use official grand prix kit.

2-wheels may not be altered. Only allowed to sand mold projections. Wheels cannot be mad smaller. Wheel must have the basic shape. No one piece axle.

3-axles may be polished. May not be altered in any way. Wheel base is standard in premade slots.

4- 3/8 clearence.

Rest is all basic weight, height, length

Any ideas on what to build. Thanks guys. :scratching:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Newbie and advice needed.

Post by FatSebastian »

Johnscooling wrote:Here are the rules. I'm thinking a 3 wheel rail rider for my boys. Is that fair?
"3 wheel" is often a shorthand way of say "three wheels touching", not necessarily meaning one less wheel. Not sure which way was meant here, but either way seems legal based on the rules as you have stated them.
JEG68
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JEG68 »

Try to find out what kind of track you are racing on. Three wheel should be the way to go regardless. But I spent months reading info on this site, only to go back and look at last year's race video to realize the track we are running on does not have the center "rail" to ride on(SuperTrack). I'm assuming the rule regarding clearance is to account for the center rail, but may want to make sure, as it can alter design plans.
Johnscooling
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Johnscooling »

Trying to find out. They were using a wood track rental. I'm hoping we use our 6 lane besttrack. I'm hoping to find out soon. Thanks I'll keep you guys posted.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Johnscooling wrote:Here are the rules. I'm thinking a 3 wheel rail rider for my boys. Is that fair?

1-must use official grand prix kit.

2-wheels may not be altered. Only allowed to sand mold projections. Wheels cannot be mad smaller. Wheel must have the basic shape. No one piece axle.

3-axles may be polished. May not be altered in any way. Wheel base is standard in premade slots.

4- 3/8 clearence.

Rest is all basic weight, height, length

Any ideas on what to build. Thanks guys. :scratching:

Axles may not be altered ? wow. not even bending for RR ? Id ask about what they mean !
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:
Johnscooling wrote:axles may be polished. May not be altered in any way.
Id ask about what they mean !
The same thought occurred to me (but then I immediately forgot it :oops: ). Polishing an axle alters it in some way, so there is some confusion with this rule as stated. Also, as Stan noted, many BSA axles come "pre-bent"; there is some debate as to whether such a rule means that one cannot file away crimp marks or straighten a bent axle using, say, the Pro-Axle Press.
Johnscooling
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Johnscooling »

Yeah not sure. I'll find out Wednesday. Ty for all the suggestions.