Big Thanks to the Derby Talk Community!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
jzarvey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Big Thanks to the Derby Talk Community!

Post by jzarvey »

Just wanted to give a big thank you to the Derby Talk community for the help.

My son Aaron had his Pack derby yesterday. He is a Tiger Cub and has been looking forward to the Pinewood Derby since we signed up him up for Scouts this year.

We didn't ask any questions on the site, just digested what was here and what is here is a gold mine!

We had a small incident while polishing the axles, he reached over an axle chucked up and spinning in the Dremel and got cut by nail head, so, he learned a valuable lesson about power tools that I assumed he all ready knew.

Aaron decided that he wanted a 3 wheel touching rail-rider after I presented the options and explained how and why RR and 3-wheeling works. It amazed me that I was able to explain that stuff to 6 year old and that he was able to grasp the concepts. (I learned a valuable lesson here, Don't underestimate what kids will absorb if we take the time to explain it and allow them to ask questions!)

Aaron picked his two favorite colors for the car, green background with a gold arrow down the middle. He named the car "The Gold Arrow." He let me pick our team name, "The Gold Standard."

Race day results: 1st place in Tiger Cub Den and 1st Place Overall!!!!!! He beat the kid who had won overall the past 3 years.

I was so proud when Aaron walked up the Scout, shook his hand and said, "Good race." I was watching my son all day and was proud that he was not being a poor-winner. He would do a little fist-pump and a quiet "Yes" when his car would win and that was it, no NFL end-zone display.

As you can probably tell, I am quite proud of my son but am mostly proud of his behavior, and am happy that he had fun.

This picture says it all:

Oh yeah, almost forgot that I got 2nd in Dad's race with car I built along side Aaron's. I would show him what needed to be done using my car and then he would execute it on his car. And we were able to help a boy who didn't have enough clearance under the car to bend the axles and pass inspection.
Jim
aka jzarvey

Chief Engineer (aka Dad)
Gold Standard Racing
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Big Thanks to the Derby Talk Community!

Post by Stan Pope »

jzarvey wrote: I would show him what needed to be done using my car and then he would execute it on his car.
:bigups:
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Congratulations! And...
jzarvey wrote: would show him what needed to be done using my car and then he would execute it on his car. And we were able to help a boy who didn't have enough clearance under the car to bend the axles and pass inspection.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
jacksdad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jacksdad »

Beautiful car, and well done on the build. This is exactly what the PWD is supposed to teach them :bigups: :bigups:
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Nice. Where is the photo and specs on your car?
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:welcome: Jzarvey!

The smile on your sons face.. It's from ear to ear. :D
Or is he grinning while covering up the back wheels holding two trophies in his arms?
I'd be smileing the same also.. Great Job on the car!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
jzarvey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jzarvey »

whodathunkit wrote::welcome: Jzarvey!

The smile on your sons face.. It's from ear to ear. :D
Or is he grinning while covering up the back wheels holding two trophies in his arms?
I'd be smileing the same also.. Great Job on the car!
I asked him about covering the wheels too and he said he was having a hard time holding the trophies. What a terrible problem to have.
Noskills wrote:Nice. Where is the photo and specs on your car?
Noskills
We didn't get any pics of my car! We were so focused on his, that mine didn't seem that important. They had the dad's race after the kid's trophies were presented and I didn't even know I had placed in the Dad's race. We were so involved in getting pics of him and his trophies that my car wasn't that significant to me. We had a lot of new friends to meet after the pics with the trophies. ;)

I will be putting up a photo and specs on both cars in a couple days. We had a nice relaxing day at home after the chaos that was yesterday. :O
Jim
aka jzarvey

Chief Engineer (aka Dad)
Gold Standard Racing
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Congrats! Very nice car
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Evolution »

Congrats!

It looks like a nice car! It sounds like lessons were learned and fun was had, those are the important things. The glory from the win will last a while, but the memories of the time well spent will last forever!