Newspaper running a pinewood derby race for Long Island

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
mebetree
Pine Head
Pine Head

Newspaper running a pinewood derby race for Long Island

Post by mebetree »

They have adult divisions.

I'm already bringing my sons cars so I'm thinking of bringing one of my own. The only real problem is that they only send you the rules after you register. Seems kind of backwards to me.
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Newspaper running a pinewood derby race for Long Island

Post by Derby Evolution »

I have seen other races that you do not get the rules till you register. It saves them time and money in sending out hte rules to those that will not register, but can sometimes lead to lower car counts.

Please post pictures when it is all said and done. It sounds like it could be a very fun race.
mebetree
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mebetree »

“RULES OF THE RACE”
Building a Pinewood Derby entry is a Cub Scout-adult project. Parents should feel free to
help with the cars, keeping in mind that it is each Scout’s project. All cars entered must be
built using the materials in the Official Pinewood Derby Racing Car Kit (part# 17006) or the
Official Wheel/Axle Kit (part# 17553, #17554, #17555, # 17556, #17557).
The maximum length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
The maximum width (including wheels and axles) shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
The minimum width between the inside surfaces of the wheels shall be 1-3/4 inches so that
the car will clear the center guide strip
The maximum height shall not exceed 3 1/2 inches.
All cars will be weighed in and inspected. The maximum weight is five (5) ounces. Any car
over this weight will not be accepted. (5 ounces is equal to 141.7 Grams on a digital scale.)
Each car will be weighed on 1 scale and if there is a discrepancy then the car will be
weighed on the master scale. The master scale is the definitive on the weight of the car.
The minimum clearance between the bottom of the car and the track shall be at least
3/8-inch so that the car can clear the center guide strip. (Check clearance on the track your
pack uses)
Items such as steering wheels, model drivers, spoilers, decals, painting and other details are
allowed as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width, height and
weight specifications. Loose materials of any kind are not permitted on the car.
The car, or any part of the car, may not extend beyond the starting pin. Pin height 1-1/4
inches.
The Scout’s name and pack number must be indicated on the car. Most participants put it
on the bottom.
Pinewood Derby Car Standards
WHEELS
• Wheel diameter cannot be reduced past the ridge (rippled) edge. The ridge (rippled)
edge must remain intact on the entire wheel.
• Beveling, tapering, grooving or reducing the tread width of the wheels is strictly
prohibited.
• Wheel treads may not be rounded, tapered, grooved, shaped or positioned at any
angle. Wheel treads must run flat against the track surface.
• Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are also prohibited. The front outside wheel
sidewalls & face must remain intact. All wheels must have the “BSA “Pinewood
Derby” showing completely intact on the sidewall. The picture of the wheel above is
what the judges will expect to see on the cars (in any of 5 BSA official colors black, red,
orange, yellow or blue). Wheel or hub covers are also prohibited.
• Cars with wheels that have matching mold numbers are prohibited (if you don’t know
what this means you are probably ok).
Axles
• You may only use axles supplied in the original car kit (part# 17006), or the Official
Wheel/Axle Kit (part# 17553, #17554, #17555, # 17556, #17557).
• Axles may not be angled in the car body slots/holes that would cause the wheel not to
run flat to the surface of the track.
• Axles may not be modified to the point that breakage could occur during the race.
• The axle head diameter may not be reduced.
Body
• No part of the car, including wheels, may extend past the front of the car body.
• The body of the car, the wheels, or any attachment, must not extend beyond the
starting gate. The front of the car must meet the starting pin.
• All 4 wheels must touch and roll on a flat surface.
• The car must be freewheeling with no starting device or other propulsion.
• The wheelbase may not be changed. Wheels front to back must be the same length as
groves provided. (11cm or 4 5/16 inch) NOT APPLICABLE TO VINTAGE CARS.
Lubricants
• Use only a graphite (dry) lubricant. Wet lubricants such as oils, silicones or waxes are
prohibited.
Examples of modifications that are allowed
• Sanding the imperfections out of the track surface of the wheels. Be careful not to
reduce the wheel diameter or round the tread face. The tread must remain flat.
• Removing the pinch marks and mold ridges on the axles by sanding and polishing the
axles.
• Straightening axles if bent.
• Use of the 5 different BSA official colored wheels Red, Yellow, Black, Orange or Blue.
(Purchased from BSA Official Source) Official Wheel/Axle Kit part# 17553, #17554,
#17555, # 17556, #17557.
mebetree
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mebetree »

My cars have extended wheelbases so my kids would have to build new cars. We already have three very full weekends between now and the race so I think that means we are out.