Blimps?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Lead Reindeer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Blimps?

Post by Lead Reindeer »

Could a blimp shaped vehicle be made to be competitive? It's not the most aerodynamic shape, but it seems like it would be interesting. Anyone ever try to fabricate a blimp?
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Blimps?

Post by psycaz »

I would think you could do it.

I would use a base plank out of pine or wood of your building choice, then use balsa for the rest as it would be way lighter than straight pine and allow you to maximize the weight placement.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Lead Reindeer,

Here is a car that is kinda shaped like a blimp.
As far as a blimp car being competitive!
I think alot of that depends on how good of a builder you are.
As to how good the competition is.. As to how competitive the car will be.
As funny as that may sound..
Stan, is always saying things like cars with lead can win!

As far as a blimp car.. The GoodYear Blimp car (would be a cool show car as well!) ;)
psycaz wrote:I would think you could do it.

I would use a base plank out of pine or wood of your building choice, then use balsa for the rest as it would be way lighter than straight pine and allow you to maximize the weight placement.
I Think you can do it and psycaz thinks you can do it to!
Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Tue May 01, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Lead Reindeer wrote:Could a blimp shaped vehicle be made to be competitive? It's not the most aerodynamic shape, but it seems like it would be interesting. Anyone ever try to fabricate a blimp?
Whether it is "competitive" or not depends on your competition of course! For typical Scout racing, I also agree that it could be competitive. Good advice from psyaz about the use of balsa (or something similar).
Lead Reindeer wrote:It's not the most aerodynamic shape, but it seems like it would be interesting.
The shape of a blimp is fairly aerodynamic (i.e., streamlined); the biggest issue is that a blimp would have a fairly large frontal area. For that reason we would try to keep the diameter of the blimp relatively narrow. Fortunately, aerodynamic losses tend to be least of all frictional forces, so you might be surprised at how fast it ends up.
Lead Reindeer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Lead Reindeer »

These are all great ideas. My son was the one who wanted the blimp, I guess now I have something to work with. If he does not change his mind, we'll post what he builds.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Lead Reindeer wrote:These are all great ideas. My son was the one who wanted the blimp, I guess now I have something to work with. If he does not change his mind, we'll post what he builds.
Please do Lead Reindeer, And good luck with his build. :thumbup:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

The Hindenburg was pretty streamline for a blimp and is a cool historical subject matter. I was thinking of making a car the shape of a civil war minie ball which is pretty blimp shaped. I would probably make the bullet (or your blimp) as only the top half of the bullet (or blimp) so that it would not have to be so thin for the 7 inches of length. I was think of just hollowing the whole thing out as I dont have much experience with balsa.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Lead Reindeer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Lead Reindeer »

The Hindenburg was pretty streamline for a blimp and is a cool historical subject matter.
My son's inspiration was a hotwheel blimp:

http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Blimp

Now any of the zeppelins could be pretty cool. I will admit. That would be awesome to see the hindenburg reach the finish line -- even in low-speed airship style fashion.