The Thingamajig / wheel painting jig.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

The Thingamajig / wheel painting jig.

Post by whodathunkit »

After seeing every ones homemade jigs made for various uses for makeing these cars or turning wheels.
I thought why not come up with a jig to help kids paint the spokes or lettering on the wheels.
We all know how hard thay are to paint!

Look at how many kids hold the wheel steady in one hand and the brush or toothpick in the next to paint with.

Why not make a Thingamajig that holds the wheel and free's up one of those hands to aid the one thats holding the brush or toothpick while painting those hard to paint parts.

So here you go here is a simple to make thingamajig, that will help you hold your painting hand steady.

You can make this jig from scraps left over from cutting out cars or use plex-e-glass like I have.

For this jig I used 1/4" plex-e-glass.
First I marked out approx.. a 1"diam holder and drilled a 5/16" hole in the center.
Then cut out the holder as seen on the top in the photo so the wheel would set down on it.
Then glued it to the next useing supper glue .. then drilled the 5/16 hole plum threw the bottom chunk also.
As you can see the hub dousen't rub the table when placed flat. (I'd hate to missup the hub.)

Here is the idead..you can spin the wheel.. when ready to move on to the next spoke or letter.

Hopefuly you get the idea behind the jig?
Hard to hold on to my painting hand wrist and take a snap shot.. had to have one hand free for takeing the snap shot.. :mrgreen:
Hopefuly this jig will help aid your child in painting those wheels.

whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Lead Reindeer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: The Thingamajig / wheel painting jig.

Post by Lead Reindeer »

Really nice idea. Might have to make one of those.

I'm thinking a hole saw with a pilot bit of the 5/16" diameter to make the hole in the center disk and cut out the disk at the same time? Is that how you did it? It says you cut out the 1" disk, I am wondering how to keep it nice and round, per your original design.

Thanks for sharing.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Thanks for sharing Mark. Do you also use one of those magnifying lamps?
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Lead Reindeer wrote:Really nice idea. Might have to make one of those.

I'm thinking a hole saw with a pilot bit of the 5/16" diameter to make the hole in the center disk and cut out the disk at the same time? Is that how you did it? It says you cut out the 1" disk, I am wondering how to keep it nice and round, per your original design.

Thanks for sharing.
Nope.. I use a quarter and drew around it.. after dilling the 5/16'' hole in the center,
then cut it out on the scroll saw and used clear packing tape on the glass to keep it form melting back together.

But your right, I could of used a hole saw also to keep it nice and round.
Noskills wrote:Thanks for sharing Mark. Do you also use one of those magnifying lamps?
Seth

Seth yes I do.. it's a tensor vision max with 3x magnification and a 1x13 watt full spectrum buld.
Come's in really handy for a lot of things.

Thanks guys and hope this Thingamajig helps with painting the wheels.
Mark.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?