Using slots rule question

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Using slots rule question

Post by Derby Evolution »

I think Stan and 5Kids have this covered perfectly. Filling the slots and drilling them will, if done properly result in great alingment. Tuning the car on tuning table or board will certainly help too.
Pinewood Po
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Pinewood Po »

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I will talk it all over with my grandson and see what he wants to do. I'm fighting off this tendency to make all these decisions myself. I want my grandson to do well but it is HIS car. There is more important things to be learned from this experience than just winning. I almost forgot that.

2 years ago when I helped another of my grandsons with his car the focus was on winning not car building. He won at pack level and did alright at district and council but didn't win. I could tell by his attitude when he didn't win that I had made a mistake by making it about winning instead of car building. I vowed not to make that mistake again.

This time around I will let him build whatever he wants. Once that is done we will see about making it go faster.

Po
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Your car, your call. I repeat that ad infinitum at my workshops.
I explain options and likely consequences, let them decide.

On the original slots vs. holes... let HIM read the rules and decide. Teach him to check the squareness of the slots in his block.
Good Luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.