A Good Day

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

A Good Day

Post by Speedster »

"Team Josh" took 1st place in our Pack Derby today. The closest any car came to him was about 3". The District race will be held on March 16th so we'll see what happens when we come up against other 1st place winners. Thanks to everyone on Derby talk for all the help. We couldn't have done it without you. It was a Great Day.
Best
Bill
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: A Good Day

Post by sporty »

Bill,

Now, You know you can't get away with that with me. lol.

I need to know, how were the wheels ? was the car faster than last years ? do you feel you have improved ? or not really ?

Sporty
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Congrats!
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Congrats.

Paul
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Bill,
That's great. I assume you were racing an extended front end car with slots and screws to cant the rear axels. What was your COM and drift. What did you race on?
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yes, extended front end, "sort of" rail rider, 4 wheels down, slots, screws, 3/4" CM, tungsten cylinders, 2 oz behind rear slot, 1.8 oz in front, drift at 2" in 35". The drift started at 2" at 4' and ended up at the 35" mark after tuning. It runs 3" behind your Western Widow. I told Josh that Mr. Stan Pope stated RED was the fastest color but he decided on green. It's his car and it ended up green. Heaven only knows how many inches that cost him. We acquired a BEAUTIFUL Piantedosi 3 lane wood track this year with Judge timer. The scoring was Elapsed time ( my favorite) and everything worked perfectly. All cars ran 6 times. I inspected the cars. Several cars were broken trying to get that 4th wheel down. That was sad. I talked to each Den before their race urging them to write to the District Executive and ask him to remove the "4 on the ground" rule. We're doing 5 workshops this year for packs in the Commodore Perry District and I urge them all to write to the District Executive about the rule. We'll see what happens. It was a REALLY good day.
Sporty, I definitely have improved. What do you mean about the wheels? OK, I'm just fooling around. Don't answer that.
Cheers,
Bill
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Hey Speedster,

I agree with 4 wheels down rule. I think at least half of all cars have only 3 wheels touching when using slots anyway. My son also choose green for his car a nice hunter green. I tried to suggest a bright racing green but it was a no go.

So your car is about the same as my Western Widow. I an going to dial back my drift to 2 in like your next year to see if we pick up some time. I was reviewing the poor videos I took of our cars and each one was super smooth at a 4 in drift.

So where do we go from here? COM to 5/8th?

Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Seth, I believe you missed a sentence. Team Josh's car is nothing like your car. It is 3" behind your car. Yes, I think 5/8" COM. There were a couple of cars in the Pack race with that COM. I was so busy inspecting cars I can't tell you if they won. I'm interested in learning how your son does at the District race. I have a suggestion for him. When the scouts names are called to race they tend to get excited and hurry to get their cars on the track. I have taught Josh to stall so he is always the last one to stage his car. That way no one can accidentally bump his car. He's a master of it. One time he stopped and played with his wheels so the other boy went around him. My Goodness this Pinewood Derby stuff is fun.
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

Speedster wrote:... I have a suggestion for him. When the scouts names are called to race they tend to get excited and hurry to get their cars on the track. I have taught Josh to stall so he is always the last one to stage his car. That way no one can accidentally bump his car. He's a master of it. One time he stopped and played with his wheels so the other boy went around him. ....
Good tip as long as not "everybody" is using it. Although I didn't notice any bumping this year (I was watching for it) I think I might impart this "tip" on my son next year... since we would be defending a title if he choose to go for speed vs. design again.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Speedster wrote:... I told Josh that Mr. Stan Pope stated RED was the fastest color but he decided on green. It's his car and it ended up green. Heaven only knows how many inches that cost him. ...
His decision didn't hurt him at all. Since he was racing against an electronic timer, the color (probably)had no effect. The "RED rule" applies to races judged by eye.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hi there, Mr. Pope. I was just kidding around. We actually paint the front 1/2" of our cars Flat Black. Somebody told me to do that long ago and I've just stuck with it. Whether it helps the timer or not I really don't know.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Speedster wrote: Hi there, Mr. Pope.
Ummm ... "Mr. Pope was my Dad. Please, I'm "Stan".
Speedster wrote:I was just kidding around.
I know. :D
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Sorry Stan. Me, of all people, should have known better. I really dislike it when the SCOUT LEADERS all call me "Mr. Klingler". I suppose those youngsters are simply trying to show respect for their elders. At least the District Executive doesn't call me "Mr. Klingler". However, what he does call me is not fit for print. Ha, Ha.
Cheers,
Bill
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Congrats!
And Good Luck on getting someone 'in charge' to change rules! We're still working on that here.
The write-in campaign seems like a good idea though, will have to implement that here to get Council to dump the 'Four on Floor' rule.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.