Lincoln Heritage Council - District Races; Thank You!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
J.Stein
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lincoln Heritage Council - District Races; Thank You!

Post by J.Stein »

The Cherokee and Seneca Districts of the Lincoln Heritage Council had their combined race this last Saturday and my son (on his third try) got to take home a trophy this year. He finished 6th with 8 trophy's being awarded. We made it to the "Sweet 16" last year which only made him more determined to get a trophy this year.

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted their hard-learned information on this site.

By combining your own trial-n-error, a commitment of time, and the information that is on this forum, your Cub can not only make a fast car, but learn a great deal along the way.

This year I've helped build 5 cars for different Cubs and can indeed tell you that I am ready for retirement.
My son has thankfully told me that we never again need to go back to Districts.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Lincoln Heritage Council - District Races; Thank You!

Post by sporty »

Congrats, Yes it can be bitter sweet. Allot of time and hard work, can give you thrills, but can also exhaust you and have you looking forward to future projects and activities with the kids.

Sporty
J.Stein
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by J.Stein »

Bittersweet indeed Mr. Sporty.

At the Pack level I'm now considered one of the "experts" with all the good and bad baggage that comes with it. Its gratifying to pass on what you know but some of the attention (as I'm sure you all know) can be negative as well. The other Cubs and parents don't realize that we really aren't "that good" and I do worry that speed techniques of which they are unaware, can't duplicate, or do not understand, may be assumed to be "cheating."

As a Den Leader I am very aware of the fact that success in having your son win is tempered by the affect it has on other Cubs...and their parents. My son will be a Webelo next year and we are now moving into the "mentoring" role and away from the competitive side. I believe at this stage nothing more will be gained by another trophy but much could be lost in the way of hard feelings.

It was a mighty fine ride though.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

First off, congratulations on your son taking home a trophy. That's not easy to do at the district level in Louisville. It took us about as many years as it took you to snag a trophy.

I hear you on the balancing the competitive side with the leadership side. Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt. Our situation in Louisville was slightly different though. My youngest son had a very competitive Pinewood Den so it was hard for other to roll their eyes at us. Any one of 4 families in our Den could come out on top. What I did in my last year was move into more of a supervisory/organizational role with the event. Because I knew most of the tricks, I would train the Boy Scouts working the event ahead of time on how to inspect the cars and log them in. And of course, when my son was having his car logged in, I was nowhere near the log in table so I couldn't be accused of swaying the inspectors.

My point is, there are ways you can still race and put your extra knowledge to good use. You may not be off the hook yet. Your son's competitiveness may come back by November next year. But I'm sure it's nice not to have the pressure to win at district again.

Did LHC continue with the three "regional" races again this year, or did they revert back to "district" races? We moved north to Indianapolis last summer, so we missed out on our last year of Pinewood in Louisville.

Again, congrats,

Paul
firstplaceloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by firstplaceloser »

pg, I am in the Lincoln Heritage Council. They held eight "district" races this year. Last year, my son was lucky enough to snag a trophy and it says "regional" but I thought there were more than three races held, kind of like this year. I have no idea what the trophy's said this year because the car...well...didn't do so good.

While we are talking about this councils setup, forgive me if I need to start a new thread as I am new to the site, has it always been this way?When I raced there was the pack level, district level and the state level. You had to win each level to proceed to the next.

Now there is a pack and district level only with all cubs able to compete at both levels. I like the idea that all cubs can compete at the district level a lot. :bigups: All that hard work and deserves at least two races.

I would love to see a race with all the district level winners though. Is that something they have done in the past? Keep in mind I wouldn't have been eligible this year either. I just think this extra level would be awesome.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

firstplaceloser wrote:pg, I am in the Lincoln Heritage Council. They held eight "district" races this year. Last year, my son was lucky enough to snag a trophy and it says "regional" but I thought there were more than three races held, kind of like this year. I have no idea what the trophy's said this year because the car...well...didn't do so good.

While we are talking about this councils setup, forgive me if I need to start a new thread as I am new to the site, has it always been this way?When I raced there was the pack level, district level and the state level. You had to win each level to proceed to the next.

Now there is a pack and district level only with all cubs able to compete at both levels. I like the idea that all cubs can compete at the district level a lot. :bigups: All that hard work and deserves at least two races.

I would love to see a race with all the district level winners though. Is that something they have done in the past? Keep in mind I wouldn't have been eligible this year either. I just think this extra level would be awesome.

Well, when I was in the LHC, for many years, there were Pack races, district races and a city-wide/regional race. It used to be that you took the top Pack finishers from each level of scouting (i.e. top Tiger, top Wolf, top Bear, and top Webelo) and they would advance to district. You would also name the second-place winners at all of those levels as alternates in case the top finisher couldn't compete. If your son was the top finisher in his cub scouting level at district, he would then advance to the city-wide race to compete against the winners at other districts.

Three years ago, LHC moved to three "regional" races, open to all cub scouts: one for Metro Louisville, one for Southern Indiana, and one for the rural area south of Louisville (ie. Bardstown). Now, it looks like they have merged the two ideas. It sounds like they are doing district races again, but you no longer have to qualify by winning at the Pack level.

If your son came home with a trophy last year, that's a big deal. That would have been a much harder race to win something at than the district race this year. If your son competed at the Metro Louisville race last year at the Carpenter/Millwrights Union, then our sons raced against each other and received trophies together. Jon took second place.

Paul