6 years in the making.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
top_notch
Apprentice
Apprentice

6 years in the making.

Post by top_notch »

I'm a long time lurker. My oldest son participated in 5 Pinewood Derbies during his 5 years as a Scout. I then became heavily involved with Scouts as a Den Leader for my younger son when he joined. During that time I became the Pinewood Derby chair and ran many (luckily) successful races for our Pack.

My sons are now in Boy Scouts now. Since I have 10 cars for my sons and probably a half a dozen more between the parents races and sibling races I finally decided to build a display. I spotted a nice display on this board and sort of modeled my display after it. At least I have 5 less cars to trip over.

It is a simple display, but over 6 years in the making. One year for each car we made. Then I thought, how hard could it be to build a display? After the final race I bought the wood to make a display. It took me over 6 months to start. It's been an on again/off again project done in my "free" time between coaching softball for my daughter, Boy Scout camping, and boating. I think it turned out well. I need to build one more to hold 10 more cars but that's another project for another time.

The cars are in order built, top to bottom. The skateboard and drag car were designed and built solely by my (younger) Webelos.

The first car is the "Money Carlo" which has coins embedded of the year of his birth and of the race year. The second was for speed, but wan't that fast. The third was when Cars (the movie) was popular, and is a 1970 Plymouth Superbird. The fourth, the skateboard was my son's idea and execution. He won a district trophy for design. The final car is modeled after a top fuel drag car, because I had taken my son to an NHRA even and he was impressed!

Kudos to this board and the parents who are involved.

Best of luck to you. The kids grow up fast so enjoy the time you have with them.

It's hard to tell, but it has a glass front door, the pull handle being an extra tire from a Derby car.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 6 years in the making.

Post by Darin McGrew »

That's a very nice display! Thanks for sharing. (And I especially like the skateboard car!)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Nice! Glad you quit lurking!

Are the cars fastened to the shelves or just straddling the shelf?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:welcome: Top_notch,

I especially like how the five pinewood derby car projects
led you to do more wood working projects to share the six years of memories.

Good looking cars & display case
the pinewood derby wheel pull handle.. it has it's way of pulling you in to take a closer look.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
top_notch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by top_notch »

Stan Pope wrote:Nice! Glad you quit lurking!

Are the cars fastened to the shelves or just straddling the shelf?
The cars just straddle the shelf. Some cars have weights on the bottom so they aren't 100% flat.

We have great memories of Pinewood Derby.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Nice work. I really like the knob. Is the case hung on a wall or does it sit on something?
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Very nice. I've been thinking about doing something similar now that my boys have moved on to Boy Scouts.

Paul
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

I like it! I need to do something like that. I've got a few years of Cub Scout racers for my son, and since he is now on his 5th year of being a Den Chief, he’s continued to make several more cars. Then I’ve got 4 daughters who made racers for the AWANA Grand Prix. I’ve got my racer my dad and I made from when I was a Cub Scout and I’ve tried to make one racer every year with the kids. I’ve also got a Canadian Scout 18 wheeler, a GMC motorhome racer and a few other unique kits. I wonder if I could size your design up?
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

That's awesome! Nice job! I'm saving my boys' cars so we can do something similar for them, though they'll get them when they're older and less prone to destroying things. :D