What's in your race day kit?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

What's in your race day kit?

Post by Topspin.D »

Another recent posting about helping a cub out who didn't get much help at home made me want to ask what kinds of things people typically take with them to pack/district races beyond your car?

For us it's the following:
- MaxV graphite (the second type of graphite we use after burnishing)
- Axel pliers
- Extra set of fully prepared wheels (2 sometimes)
- Extra set of fully prepared axels (2 sometimes)
- A little extra weight (usually tungsten putty, sometimes stick on lead or pocket change)
- A tube of thick CA/super glue

That's usually enough to handle any issue we have and to lend a hand to someone if they really need it.

Also, my objective is not to come in with a tool bag or tackle box of tools (I've seen people do that). Even though I'm one of "those dads" I don't want to be too obvious about it. :paperbag: Everything fits in a medium sized plastic school box that I keep in my coat pocket.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What's in your race day kit?

Post by Darin McGrew »

On race day, I usually bring the lube kit (Krytox 100, cloth for wiping off excess, shims for spacing wheels from body when installing wheels and axles) and some gel-style CA glue. We also have spare wheels and axles (unprepped), weight, and various workshop tools at the church, but we don't bring them to the derby. The main thing we use is the gel-style CA glue. Occasionally, there's a car that won't cross the finish line; after a couple races, it might get a few drops of Krytox 100 if it looks like the problem is that it was never lubricated.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Topspin.D,

Those are some really good race day tool kit tips. ;)

And I can see where your comeing from about being one of those Dad's also.
:paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag: :paperbag:
This is my medium sized plastic school box that will not fit in my coat pocket..

To many tools to list.. full line of Derbyworx tools and more as you can see.
Guess it the Carpenter and Maintanceman in me..
And you know how use guys are about haveing the right tools for the task at hand.
Like any good Cub Scout I come prepared with my race day kit and moveable seat..
TO CHEER THESE KIDS ON WITH!

Theres nothing wrong about bringing tools along.
And I can see why you would want to down size on the tools you bring in also by hideing them in your coat pocket.
Tools are not cheep by any means.. turn your back for one race and the tools (could) find a way of walking off..
Or help a kid with a car whos dad is standing by and needs to be doing work with his son,
the car is not so well off on the track and you are to blame for it because you helped his son glue a axle back on the car just by letting his son use your glue.
But his son is thankful and tells you thanks for the help and the glue.

Bummer things like this can happen when you try to help some one in need of a tool.

Not to go off topic here.. (But how much help is to much help?) when you try so hard to be one of those cool dads or guy.
That likes to help these kids and clubs out that do so much to help the town out also.
By packing in a tool box or tackle box full of tools so these kids can make emergency repairs to there cars.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Topspin.D wrote:Also, my objective is not to come in with a tool bag or tackle box of tools (I've seen people do that). Even though I'm one of "those dads" I don't want to be too obvious about it. :paperbag: Everything fits in a medium sized plastic school box that I keep in my coat pocket.
Most of our stuff resides in a single tackle box, the contents of which looks a lot like Whoda's photographs. We just take the whole shebang along out of convenience (and to avoid misplacing the contents by separating them), but tend to leave it out in the car unless/until it is really needed.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Whoda, I'm with you on the tools. The more the better.
Regarding an angry parent. We don't seem to have that. Perhaps it's my grey hair and specially designed air brushed shirt I wear when I'm inspecting the cars. One of our Pack meetings is set aside for my lecture on how to build a fast car. There are lots of visuals showing a car being built from the block to the finished car. I involve many of the scouts in demonstrations as we go through the lecture. It seems the more workshops there are at the Pack level the smoother things go at the race. I find the biggest problem is from those who do not read the rules. Our rules are fairly strict and inspection goes quickly. I hope everyone is able to have a workshop for the boys.Image
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I use a small shoebox-sized tote, which is much larger than it needs to be. I have a couple of sets of wheels and axles (without preparation), graphite, axle pliers, super glue, hot glue gun (though in several years I have yet to plug it in), and a completed car that has been specially prepared to be slow but still finish (it does a 42' BestTrack in about 4.1 seconds).
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

I have a 16" For Tools toolbox by Keeter that my oldest daughter used to use for her craft supplies. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.