Announcing Mid America Pinewood Derby 2014

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Announcing Mid America Pinewood Derby 2014

Post by tmack »

Greg and Birddog,
You guys make valid points. It goes beyond just soil vs. graphite to be competitive in the offered classes.

I guess my optimum scenario would be for a scout to build a standard wheel base car, BSA axles-wheels (polish sand only), and graphite, then the scout/dad watch it advance thru den, pack, districts, finally nationals(Mid America) without having to modify it beside tune-up/re-graphite. Us dad's are busy!! ..maybe lazy too : )

So from an event point of view, is there enough "market" for that type of basic car to support a "national" type event? Greg, would this blow-up you inspection process checking for all of this compliance? Plus other logistic nightmares/costs?

What rules do the majority of Packs in the US enforce? Is extended more common vs standard?, oil vs graphite?, shaved wheels vs outta the box?, slotted vs drilled holes...is there a common set of rules the majority of US packs use? Is it even possible to find that out? I'm getting a headache thinking about this....I feel your pain Greg. Why do packs have to have different rules?? LOL

And yes we plan on being in it to win it! Gonna be a blast!
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Yes you could run in each division.
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Tmack,

I have heard about every kind of rule known to mankind.... for multiple multiple reasons we like our rules... in regards to inspection and the advanced engineering it promotes along with the support it lends to multiple vendors out there... We like rules that are very difficult to "cheat" and we do not want to tear down cars... thus why our wheel rules in its simplest form are "all BSA markings intact inside and out" nail type axles that are no less than .84 - height - weight - length - wheel base any... it truly keeps things on a level playing field - and I have heard from every critic... and every supporter -- I would be shocked if there was ever a "standard" set of rules... that are adopted by all packs, districts and councils.

The rules in the box are almost worthless - and pinewood derby has changed a LOT since its inception. Official Kits have changed over the years... Official kits & packs of wheels (that you can buy at the Scout Shops) come with different official axles and there are many different versions of official sets of wheels... My vote would be to have the Mid America Pinewood Derby Rules be the standard -- but again, I am biased.... I do know that when running cars from all around the United States where people Proxy Race, and many show up to race in person. That it is critical to have a standard ENFORCEABLE set of rules... that creates a Fair Race... the Best Builder will win.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

While I'm hoping for a graphite division for scouts, overall, I really LOVE your rules. Very well explained and hard to "bend" via interpretation. I'm actually going to make a push for our pack to adopt them next year (with a few changes though). I do expect it to be an uphill battle though.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Great points Greg. Well thought out. :bigups:

Regards,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

Greg
You convinced me that until there is a usa standard rule book(never happen) your cuurent approach is about as good as it gets. It then comes down to what each entrant wants to get out of the experience. Meaning for us folks who take this pwd thing way too seriously... need to rebuild. But for the folks just wanting good family fun. Enter it as is. But that's our decision. Your event has no choice but to open the rules up to give the most people a chance to race and not blow up your inspection process at the same time. Win win
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

OK - It is now "official" - we have split the Open Scout Division into 2 Groups - Open Scout Graphite & Open Scout Oil - Divisions -- Most of the changes were just done on the website... the council will soon be updating Registration pages and additional informaiton found on thier side of things... but Rules have been updated / awards have been updated / and many other little places on the website have been updated. http://www.midamericaderby.com

Wow that took like 4 hours of updating... yikes... anyways... It is now Official and this is the first place to know that information besides some of our committee members and the IT person at our council.

and TMack - you are correct... this I know.

Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ickabod Crane »

We'd be in for running a car in both divisions. Our pack allows only graphite but would love to try our hand at oil.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

That is great news Ickabod - it is fun building an oil based car... I suspect that your cars will again qualify through the District races and be entered into the Qualified Scout Division. The Open Scout Oil division will offer you some very top level competition and my kids have also decided that they together want to build and race an oil car... we will see if we are able to get one done before the big race on May 3rd. It is amazing what building these little cars with the kids helps foster, in terms of engineering and scientific understanding... not to mention the time we get to spend working on things together.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

I'm pretty sure we're going to build an oil car as well as submitting our graphite car.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Good luck to all who enter and run and try the mid America.

Sporty for the time being is not doing pinewood derby stuff.