Announcing Mid America Pinewood Derby 2014

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Announcing Mid America Pinewood Derby 2014

Post by xanthrum »

We are well underway far into our planning of the 2014 Mid America Pinewood Derby.

The official date has been set May 3rd, 2014 - with a special Corporate Event on May 2nd.

We just launched the online registration - found here https://scoutingevent.com/?PineWoodDerby- or by simply going to the website http://www.midamericaderby.com

Today I was just shipped our brand new 4 lane Best Track that we will run the Adult and the Kids Divisions on... we have already upgraded the stop sections with a Speed Trap for both tracks, and a brand new lift level system for both tracks that we are in the process of welding and putting together now... We have also overhauled our entire web broadcasting system there will be a channel for each race track - Scouts Track - Kids/Adults Track & Pro Track, along with much improved equipment for web viewing.

We are looking forward to even a better race than ever

As always if you have any questions or need anything please let me know. We are currently working on setting up lodging options for people.

Stay tuned for announcements as we get closer to May 3rd.

We will again be having the following divisions:

* Qualified Scout Division (those qualifying from Mid America Council District races only) - graphite only
* Open Scout Division
* Open Kids Division - graphite only
* Open Adult Division - graphite only
* Pro Stock Division
* Pro Modified Division
* Pro Bearing Division

We are contemplating a Open Scout Division - of graphite only... in an effort to include some of the very restrictive rule sets that some have to follow out there... but have not finalized - your input would be great.

For those of you that come to the event - we will again have the LEGO Track, the local Mascots, Star Wars Crew, National Auto Safety Patch, Concessions, Guest Appearances, and plenty of other cool stuff.

Truly
Greg Dawes
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Announcing Mid America Pinewood Derby 2014

Post by DerbyAddicted »

I'm on the fence about doing it, but I would like to see a graphite only scout division.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Great news regarding the web-casting upgrades. If you can incorporate a video feed of the post-race awards presentations, that will also be a great addition to the web experience for those proxy racers. Should include a TV screen view as well as an online audio feed if possible, so that if one fails, you have the other broadcast medium as back-up.

Looking forward to the Mid-America this year!

Regards,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

Greg,
I'm confused about the "Mid America" Council District races. This is all new to me.

Found this: The Boy Scouts of America, Mid-America Council serves 20,814 youth in 58 counties in Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota.
So that means my son's district race in Pennsylvania can't get us into the qualified scout division correct? So then got to go either Open Scout or Kids class? Our RR car is standard WB, axle slots, graphite only. We want to enter it in the class that give us the best chance to do well.

Thanks
Tom
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Tom,

You are correct... currently we do not have a way to coordinate with each District in the entire US in reporting 1-3 place finishers in each age group... it would be awesome to be able to reach a system that I could get reports of those that "qualify" through a Districts race.... currently you are on track either the Kids Division or the Open Scout Division would be your best option and the Open Scout being best as we award in rank versus just overall - as I mentioned in my post we are seriously considering a Graphite Only Class for Open Scouts- and if there is enough interest it is a division that we can add. The rules would be indentical to the Qualified Scouts, and the Kids Division.

Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

xanthrum wrote:Tom,

You are correct... currently we do not have a way to coordinate with each District in the entire US in reporting 1-3 place finishers in each age group... it would be awesome to be able to reach a system that I could get reports of those that "qualify" through a Districts race.... currently you are on track either the Kids Division or the Open Scout Division would be your best option and the Open Scout being best as we award in rank versus just overall - as I mentioned in my post we are seriously considering a Graphite Only Class for Open Scouts- and if there is enough interest it is a division that we can add. The rules would be indentical to the Qualified Scouts, and the Kids Division.

Truly
Greg
Greg,

I def. think there should either be a graphite only scout division, or possibly next year removing oil from the Open Scout Division. While I could be mistaken, I think there are far more scout packs that restrict oil rather than allow it. Just my two cents. Graphite only, and I'll def. submit my son's car.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

I believe we are going to divide the Open Scout Division into Open Oil Scout Divsion, and Open Graphite Scout Division... there are some things that we have to do in order to make this official - what do you guys think?
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

I agree 100%, but I'm biased since we have a graphite car ready to roll. Someone brought up before that there at probably more graphite scout cars out there than oil. I tend to believe that...but with no data to back it up.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

There are actually more oil lubricated cars than you think, and i believe the trend will be more... are it is so less messy, and a better lubricant than graphite... from being so involved in so many pinewood derby related races... I am still amazed at how many people do not even consider lubrication at all... there are countless number of cars that we check in that have no graphite or lubrication what so ever on thier wheels... yikes... but now that Scout Shops are selling oil, and wax... I believe that we will see a big trend in using oil versus graphite.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I would be in favor of splitting oil and graphite.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Noskills wrote:I would be in favor of splitting oil and graphite.
Seth
I second that.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

xanthrum wrote:I am still amazed at how many people do not even consider lubrication at all... there are countless number of cars that we check in that have no graphite or lubrication what so ever on thier wheels... yikes...
Yeah, we see that at our check-in too. Sometimes, I think people are confused about the difference between polishing the axles (which they've done, and which they think we're asking about) and lubricating the wheels and axles (what we're really asking about).
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Greg-

I'm going to offer up a slightly different opinion than most have done to date here.

While we do have much more restrictive rules in our district (standard wheel base, graphite only, no machining of wheels, must use out of box axles, etc), I don't think changing the Mid-America open scout division to graphite only would cause us to be able to send in our current car. We'd have to rebuild anyway as we'd need to use lightened wheels and thicker axles to be competitive. As long as we cannot use our current car and we have to build a new car anyway, it gives us a chance to play with the oil process, which is a new learning experience and just plain works better.

It seems most folks want to be able to send in their current cars which use graphite. I'll bet if their current cars use graphite, they don't have the upgraded wheels or axles that are likely needed to do well anyway. Thus, those that are in it to win it, will need to rebuild anyway. As long as they are rebuilding, why not try out oil?

thanks,

birddog
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Birddog,

You think exactly the way I do -- it is all about the learning expierence and process for us dad's / mom's / guardians and our Scout... and I totally agree that is allows us that are willing to invest the time and energy the opportunity to take things to a new level.

I wasnt going to make the open division a graphite only division but rather split the divisions into:
* Open Oil Scout Division
* Open Graphite Scout Division

The only real issue that I have with this is that I order a very large number of trophies for each Scout Division... 1st - 12th - for the Overall and 1st - 6th for each Class (ie Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos) - that adds 36 additional trophies... which I do not mind as long as the number of entries support... knock on wood... each year we have been growing and we have supported the additional costs that I have put back into the event... and even though I work closely with the Council -- I / We (our committee) are breaking new ground and work in synch with the Council but do not rely on the Council and really drive all things that happen with or surrounding the event ourselves... We just recieved a Brand new (still in the box) Best Track - and we have forged ahead with Major Upgrades to the Web Broadcasting that we will do in 2014. So in turn what I would LOVE is an amazing amount of support from many of you here on this forum and those back in your packs that truly enjoy Pinewood Derby Racing and want to take things to the highest level.

I truly have no issues in dividing the Open Scout Division - it means more people will win trophies... it allows a builder to build an oil and a graphite car... it should be a great place for those interested in taking things up one notch a great set of small stepping stones - what do you guys think.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Greg-

Would an open Scout be able to submit 2 cars, one for each division? I think if you added a new division, with a new set of trophies, we might end up building 2 cars, one for each division, assuming that would be allowed.

birddog